Featured Posts
Rogeswife
Ctfd mom he's 2!!
August 7 at 3:27 PM
I am continuously having to check myself with my 2 1/2 yr old son's behavior. Like I expect him to act like a grown up. Sigh I feel so bad because we love in a small apartment and no yard to play in. I get upset inside when he kicks his ball and it hits something or if he takes put all his toys at once or shrieks as he plays or just plays like a 2 yr old. I have to tell myself to calm down. Please tell me I am not alone and how I can wind myself down!

Replies

• Blue462
    by Blue462
    August 7 at 3:53 PM
    I have a big yard but there are plenty of times the weather doesn't permit us to play outside. Plus DH works midnights so we have to be quiet when he is sleeping. You aren't alone. 2 year olds have a lot of energy and it's hard to keep them occupied. Try taking him to the park or do more structured activities at home like coloring, play dough, etc. that is all I can think of. GL to you and know it gets better in a few years!
  • LuLuRex
    by LuLuRex
    August 7 at 4:36 PM

This is really good advice. I think structured activities will help a lot!

Click here for Toddler Tips: Potty Training, Discipline,& more! 

Quoting Blue462: I have a big yard but there are plenty of times the weather doesn't permit us to play outside. Plus DH works midnights so we have to be quiet when he is sleeping. You aren't alone. 2 year olds have a lot of energy and it's hard to keep them occupied. Try taking him to the park or do more structured activities at home like coloring, play dough, etc. that is all I can think of. GL to you and know it gets better in a few years!

• LancesMom
    August 8 at 9:27 AM

First I would find more for him to do. You can take him to parks and museums, School play grounds. Make play dates with kids his age. They need to get outside and get fresh air. Does the apartment complex have a play area? If you can get some of his energy out with outdoor play you will see a big difference.

• crazynana123
    August 8 at 12:05 PM

Ok, grandma speaking here. You are not alone, but... you need to get your priorities straight first of all It is not his fault you do not have a yard to play in and release all that boy energy.  Second, make sure you take him out in the morning to run around and then once in the afternoon. Third, when you are going to get angry with him, evaluate yourself first. Am I getting mad for a real reason or is he just acting like a two year old boy like any other two year old boy. And last of all, remember what is important, the laundry, the messed up living room, or the kind of mom your child is going to remember,loving, kind and understanding. Let all these things run through your mind in any given moment that you are going to get upset about something and put it all in perspective. You have to teach yourself how to parent,and you took the first step asking for advice. They don't come with instructions stamped on their heads you know!  Always learn from those who have gone before you,think about their advise, use what works for you and throw out the rest. Not everything works for every person. God made us individuals for a reason. And if all else fails, give your little boy a big hug and tell him how much you love him, and I bet then you can't get mad at him for anything. And I have found talking to them gets you a lot further than yelling. Good luck, and I'm so glad you seeked out advice, knowing it was not good to yell at them all the time,good going mom.

• crazynana123
    August 8 at 12:19 PM

Also mom structure is very important,I always lived by a schedule with mine and with my babysitting kids for 17 years. This is sorta how it went... they got tv with their breakfast time, then we went for a small walk. Then we came in and they free played  while I did laundry, dishes whatever. Then it was probably lunch time,and then some sort of outside time. Then they usually had a nap or if they didn't take naps we would have reading time or school time( learning abc or123.) Then they got a bit of afternoon tv or DVD of their choice.  And I did dinner or a chore or two. Then they usually played or did a craft with me till their parent came home. They never really had time  get bored. Hope that all helps  bit. Kids want structure it helps them. They don't know they want it but they do.

• Rogeswife
    August 8 at 12:21 PM
    Wow lots of good advice! I have a 15 mo old daughter too and have been super sick with #3. But starting to feel better. Guess it is time for a membership to children's museum and find a toddler friendly park. The neighborhood where I live is a little rough and funny business happens in the parks, but I need to remember my kids are worth driving a few miles to find a good park!!! Thanks mamas! My issue is I am a homebody but life is not all about me anymore lol. I guess one of the struggles of having gotten used to worrying only about me for so many years I am having a hard time transitioning to worrying about my kids first. That just came straight from my brain, don't know if it made a lot of sense
  • Rogeswife
    August 8 at 12:23 PM
    Good point!!! I love structure too and have missed it sooo much since I stopped working. Thank you!!!!

Quoting crazynana123:

Also mom structure is very important,I always lived by a schedule with mine and with my babysitting kids for 17 years. This is sorta how it went... they got tv with their breakfast time, then we went for a small walk. Then we came in and they free played  while I did laundry, dishes whatever. Then it was probably lunch time,and then some sort of outside time. Then they usually had a nap or if they didn't take naps we would have reading time or school time( learning abc or123.) Then they got a bit of afternoon tv or DVD of their choice.  And I did dinner or a chore or two. Then they usually played or did a craft with me till their parent came home. They never really had time  get bored. Hope that all helps  bit. Kids want structure it helps them. They don't know they want it but they do.

• Pecuellar
    August 8 at 3:03 PM

Having realistic expectations of how well behaved he is capable will help you not freak out. 

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    August 8 at 4:32 PM

I am thinking the same thing, a good part of his day should be where he can run and play. A park, a play ground, someplace. A class at the Y, maybe, where he can run loose and enjoy.

Quoting LancesMom:

First I would find more for him to do. You can take him to parks and museums, School play grounds. Make play dates with kids his age. They need to get outside and get fresh air. Does the apartment complex have a play area? If you can get some of his energy out with outdoor play you will see a big difference.

• emarin77
    August 8 at 6:38 PM

There are rules in the house not to throw or kick a ball.  We kept the balls in our closet.  My son and I used to play with a balloon in our apartment when he was 2-3.  In the park we kick a ball or run around.  I also home schooled him with activitys/coloring/practicing his numbers and letters.  We kept busy.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN