Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
Some.Beach
Would you care if your child's teacher were gay?
April 10 at 4:05 PM

It's almost the end of the school year so the school's been looking for new teachers to replace a few outgoing teachers retiring at the end of this year. One new hire everyone is buzzing about is a man with tons of qualifications and experience who also happens to be gay. I believe sexuality is irrelevant when it comes to teaching kids, but there are lots of parents who are very upset about it, especially those whose kids will have him for 5th grade next year.

Would it bother you if you found out your child's teacher is gay? How would you talk to your child about the subject if he/she came home asking questions about it?

Replies

• Mom2Just1
    April 10 at 4:17 PM

I don't care their sexual orientation.  Frankfy, I would not know whether or not they were gay or not.  My son's principal is gay but we only know that because we have seen him outside of school with his partner.  He introduced him as his partner.  He is an excellent principal and the school is awesome!

• antiquehearts
    April 10 at 4:24 PM
    One of the most important things to me as a parent, is teaching my kids to be accepting of all different sexual orientations, races, religions, lifestyles, etc. I'm not exactly the June Cleaver type. Acceptance, open mindedness, and exploration of other points of view are key to the way i parent my kids. We don't practice organized religion in my house, nor do we classify people. Each individual person is beautifully unique and I want my kids to strive to accept people for their individuality. :)
  • christina122952
    April 10 at 4:34 PM

no i would mind as long as they are good teacher

• allison713
    April 10 at 4:35 PM
    No i dont Care once teacher is dressing appropriate focus on teaching
  • jazzieel1
    April 10 at 4:47 PM

To me that has nothing to do with him as a teacher. The sad truth is some homophobic people automatically think a gay man will harm their child sexually. Those type just don't get it. Also there no doubt will be ones that will say I do not want my child exposed to gay people or their lifestyle. But he shouldn't be and most likely will not be bringing his personal life to school. So if no one makes a big deal out of it and were to never bring it up the kids may never know he is gay. The reality is the kids are in 5th grade this is a good time for kids to learn that not all people in the world are the same or share the same point of views on things. But that it is okay to be different. I use to have a homophobic brother. He always said he would not tolerate his child being gay or bi. Guess what he changed his mind quick when one of his dd grew up to be gay. He quickly learned her sexual preferences are better supported then not. Her gf's parents at the time did not support it and she was found in her bedroom dead. She hung herself. The reality is people are being more openly gay now days. This could be a good lesson to a child on not judging even if you do not agree on their lifestyle. Those parents would be in trouble in our local school. We are loaded with kids of all sorts of sexuality preferences and no one judges them. My kids even told me if you are ignorant enough to bully someone who is gay or bi in our school district it will get the crap beat out of you. They said not even the good kids will put up with it.

• hk2kids
    by hk2kids
    April 10 at 6:07 PM

I wouldn't care if my child's teacher was gay.  I already talk to my children about same-sex couples because several attend our church.  Also - we talk about discrimination often.  I want my kids to think about what they like -vs- dislike, support, etc.

I have stopped sending financial support to my Catholic high school because they fired the president after he openly admitted he was gay.  The guy worked there for 9 years, had a partner, and children.  The school had to know about his private life.  I find it such a hypocrisy that they would fire him for being honest.  I always wonder how long they would have kept him if he kept lying.

• SexyTeacher
    April 10 at 6:29 PM

It would not bother me at all. My TA is gay and I work with her everyday. She is awesome with the kids.

• Jenn8604
    April 10 at 6:34 PM
    If he was an open honest person to begin with since it is a PRIVATE CATHOLIC school he never would have been hired. I'm sure, like all Christian schools require, he signed that he would follow a Biblically upstanding life. He deserved fired.
    If it was a PUBLIC school it wouldn't matter. He should have sought employment in a public school and not gone against what he signed.

Quoting hk2kids:

I wouldn't care if my child's teacher was gay.  I already talk to my children about same-sex couples because several attend our church.  Also - we talk about discrimination often.  I want my kids to think about what they like -vs- dislike, support, etc.

I have stopped sending financial support to my Catholic high school because they fired the president after he openly admitted he was gay.  The guy worked there for 9 years, had a partner, and children.  The school had to know about his private life.  I find it such a hypocrisy that they would fire him for being honest.  I always wonder how long they would have kept him if he kept lying.

• LadyMarissa
    April 10 at 6:34 PM

NO, I wouldn't care.  I had a gay teacher when I was in high school & he was THE BEST teacher I ever had!!!  Contrary to what some parents believe, your kids won't catch it!!!  With this guy's glowing recommendations, I bet he doesn't preach Gay Rights in the classroom!!!  I guess I'd handle the questions that are sure to come up with we are ALL human.  I've raised my children to respond to intolerance with kindness & they're pretty well immuned to ALL forms of bullying!!!  How will we ever stop bullying with our children, IF we insist on bullying as adults???  They learn from example!!!  Anyway, I do believe that practically ALL the teachers molesting students have been female teachers molesting little boys or male teachers molesting our daughters.  I honestly can't think of one instance where the teacher was gay & molested a child of the same sex.  I'd feel MORE inclined to have a talk with the intolerant parents than I would my children!!!

• AutymsMommy
    April 10 at 6:40 PM

Depends.

In a public school I believe it should have no bearing whatsoever.

If it is a private religious school, and that religion prohibits homosexual marriage/cohabitation, yes I would be upset as a parent paying to send their child to a school in line with those same beliefs.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts