Advice for Moms

H.Perales
Just returned after maternity leave, now have to call in.
November 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Oct. 28th was my first day back to work. I've been off for 14 weeks for maternity leave. This was also DD's first week of daycare.

Well she got an ear infection Saturday. :/ She's on antibiotics, but still under the weather. I wanted her to home with me tomorrow so she can get back up to speed.

I feel like such a coward. I still have plenty of sick time, but don't know how to break it to my boss that I can't come in tomorrow. It's full of women and 99.9% of them bitch and whine. 

My children come first, plain and simple. Just feel like I'll be criticized. I also don't want the other kids at daycare to catch what she has. 

Replies

• Bookoholic
    November 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    Chances are the other kids either have it or already have it. Virus are in our bodies 7-14 days prior to symptoms. But I would see how your DD is in the AM as she could feel much better tomorrow.
  • strictmomhere
    November 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    Do whats best for DD hugs
  • gonecrazi
    November 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I would keep her home just to be on the safe side.

• Jenn8604
    November 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    Ear infections are not contagious. But they still won't let her in daycare with a fever. And if she just wants mommy there's no point in sending her if she doesn't have a fever. Just tell your boss the baby's sick and can't go to daycare and leave it at that.
  • WILDCATGAL78
    November 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I hope she feels better! I was at work for 2-3 weeks after maternity leave when I had to stay home my sick little one. Then she was better for a couple weeks then I was out again for 8 days because she had RSV. She was in the hospital for 3 days and I had to keep her home for 5 days. My boss has 3 daughters one of whom is still in high school. She is always leaving early to take her to appts and for her extra curriculars.

• jamamama00
    November 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    I think stuff like this is the hardest part of motherhood. I hate it.
  • DieselsMom
    November 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

you don't want them to catch an ear infection??? are you kidding me right now?

• H.Perales
    November 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    She had a cold that was contagious that caused the ear infection.

You didn't have to leave a snide ass comment.

Quoting DieselsMom:

you don't want them to catch an ear infection??? are you kidding me right now?

• countrygirlkat
    November 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Is she feeling any better today?  How did your boss take it? 

• H.Perales
    November 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    She's still a little congested, but overall she looks a lot better.

Boss took it well. She says it happens. :)

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Is she feeling any better today?  How did your boss take it? 

Advice for Moms