Featured Posts
Kingermom
Should I just say forget it?
August 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Ok here's the deal. I got married young and it has been great. My hubby was just finishing college when we got married. Long story short I was to go when he was done, but we had kids and life goes on. Fast toward 14 years...now I am looking at going to college for the first time. I looked into a private school because it was mainly online. We found out it would be way less costly to go to NDSU- ND state. When going through the financial aid process I found out hubby makes too much so I can only qualify for an unsubsidized Sanford loan meaning interest starts when the loan is taking out. Now here's the thing hubby says we are NOT taking out an unsubsidized loan. I am sure the answer will be the same when I go through the financial aid with NDSU. I kinda feel like I should just say forget and just not go. In a away it almost feels like he doesn't want me to anyways.What would you do?

Replies

• illogicalkat
    August 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Do you have to go to school full-time? If not, can you afford to pay for one or two classes without loans? Or are you able to attend some courses at a community college, and transfer to the university later? (Community colleges are almost always cheaper than 4-year schools.)

Another alternative is to save up for a year's tuition, start school, and then continue with the savings plan to pay for the next year.

I'm not sure if you are currently employed, but some companies have tuition reimbursement programs for their employees. You pay for the class out of pocket, but at the end of the semester they reimburse you for the tuition when you pass the class.

• lucky2Beeme
    August 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM

try finding scholarships that you qualify for. My niece got 1 because her dad was a union carpenter. She found 5 different ones she qualified for.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    August 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    This

Quoting illogicalkat:

Do you have to go to school full-time? If not, can you afford to pay for one or two classes without loans? Or are you able to attend some courses at a community college, and transfer to the university later? (Community colleges are almost always cheaper than 4-year schools.)

Another alternative is to save up for a year's tuition, start school, and then continue with the savings plan to pay for the next year.

I'm not sure if you are currently employed, but some companies have tuition reimbursement programs for their employees. You pay for the class out of pocket, but at the end of the semester they reimburse you for the tuition when you pass the class.

• DaniandTom
    August 31, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I lived this one. I quit so my husband could finish up while I supported us. I never got to go back either. 22 years later the marriage ended. He had an awesome career...I had 20 years of nothing in my work history! Go back! Even if you only take a couple of classes a year. It's something no one can take away from you and even if you only get the degree and don't work, it will help your self esteem. There is just no downside to getting your degree. It's easy for your husband to say no, but what do you think would happen if it was HIM wanting to go back? You would encourage him and do whatever it took to help him....why isn't he doing that for you?

• SMTCMMoore
    August 31, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    What do you want to go for? Starting at a community college can save thousands.
  • JC2223
    by JC2223
    August 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I agree with this. If you can't afford to go full time, do a few classes at a time. Take your basic classes at a community college to save money, and save up for the rest as you go. It will take longer, but you'll get it done and not break your bank doing it. I've been with my DH for 17 years and have been going to college for 4 years. Because of DH's salary, we don't qualify for financial help either. With his schedule, finances and having children, it's more manageable for me to take 1-3 classes a semester. I prefer online classes too, but I will tell you that they are not as easy as they seem. More convenient YES, but you really have to manage your time, stay motivated and some courses are harder without the physical instruction. And don't believe the instructors when they state that their course should only require 5-8 hours a week of your time...double and triple that time!

Quoting illogicalkat:

• Kingermom
    August 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I would prefer to go full time, the sooner I get done the sooner I will be able to move up at work. I work part time and my boss is supportive about me going to school so I can start taking on more. Don't get me wrong my hubby is supportive most of the time he just gets in moods and it makes me feel like I should just say F it and give up.

• Mom2Just1
    August 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I say do it and follow your dreams!

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    August 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I go one class at a time and we just pay. However I work now too so that helps. Just do what you can, and go for it!!

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    August 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Welcome btw!!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts