Advice for Moms

momofsunshine77
how to explain...
July 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM

that I am a morning person.  I have always gotten up in the morning my whole life.  I always studies in the morning and can get up without alarm fully awake, get things done.  I go to bed early at night.  The only time I can stay awake at night is if I am not at home - otherwise I go to bed.  My brain just shuts off late afternoon and I do not function very well after that time (brain wise like studying, reading, thinking, discussions, etc.) 

My DH is the opposite.  he can think at night and does not function in the morning has a hard time getting up etc.  I have used the EXACT words above plus some to explain to him I DO NOT like to sleep in the morning.  I actually like getting up and getting things done.  The earlier the less stressful my day is.  He calls me delusional and crazy because I cant function at night. He says it is not normal and I should sleep in the morning.  (For example, this morning he tells me to go back to bed when he left for work)

For some reason, I cannot get him to understand that I am a morning person, and that is me.  I cannot get him to understand that I like to get up - he just thinks there is something wrong in brain.  My mom is a morning person as well. 

How do I make him understand? I have tried talking to him and explaining just as above but he does not get it.  He seems to think that everyone should be like him or that everyone is the same.  I respect the fact that he is a night person by letting him sleep in the morning on his days off for as long as he wants.  I don't wake him up to help me or discuss things, but he wants to have these lengthy discussions that I physically cannot do after the kids go to bed. 

What to do?  Sorry so long.  Thanks for letting me at least get some of this out. LOL

Replies

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    July 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Some people like to get up early, some don't. I get my best work done in the morning, but I wilt by early evening.  I start yawning and my eyes droop.  Have you tried gentle yawns and shaking your head so that he sees that you are too tired?  Tell him there is a problem, and ask him if he would be willing to try getting up earlier, since it can't work for you to get up later- you are already awake. He could get up earlier to match your natural schedule. Good luck!

• catevincesmom
    July 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I wish I was a morning person.  Everyone is different, &  you seem to respect that w/ your husband.  Is there a time/place you both can function & still have the discussions? 

• momofsunshine77
    July 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

yes, but finding a time to talk is really not the problem. I am trying to get him to understand that I am not like him and I actually enjoy getting up and it is less stressful.  It just seems when he asks me why I dont sleep in the morning I tell him those exact reasons and he says so, your delusional?  I just wish I can find a way to get him to understand.  Thanks for your input!!!

Quoting catevincesmom:

I wish I was a morning person.  Everyone is different, &  you seem to respect that w/ your husband.  Is there a time/place you both can function & still have the discussions? 

• momofsunshine77
    July 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

BUMP!

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts