Featured Posts
bluedolly01
DH just diagnosed with...
July 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Type 2 Adult Onset diabetes. I know that we need to be making some dietary changes (white bread to brown etc...) but I am looking for some YUMMY diabetic friendly recipes. Give me your best recipes (both sweet & savoury) ladies. My husband has a HUGE sweet tooth so even if you have tricks on how to adjust your favourite recipes so that they are "friendly" would be appreciated. TIA ladies. Quote Like

Replies

• lilmama8408
    July 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    Ill have look later for the recipe but I have one that's a good sugar/roll out cookie dough. Dhs grandpa is diabetic he loves them and he has a major sweet tooth but often doesn't follow the diet he should.
  • sfigu16
    by sfigu16
    July 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    Try interest! That's where my mom gets hers from.
  • sfigu16
    by sfigu16
    July 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    Pinterest*

Quoting sfigu16:

Try interest! That's where my mom gets hers from.

• frndlyfn
    July 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM

There are so many options.  He also may be able to eat "regular' food just much more in moderation than he has been.  For ice cream Blue bunny has a great sugar free selection for flavors.   Do not use splenda for your sweetener in any cooking since it can cause insulin resistance in the body as well as cause level spikes.

• PeaceLoveAndTea
    July 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Greek yogurt with agave and cinnamon (cinnamon actually helps regulate blood sugar, so it's really good for diabetics) and sometimes some berries thrown in. 

• bluedolly01
    July 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    Thanks.

Splenda and the other artificial sweetners arent allowed in my house anyway because of the aspartame in it.

We are going to try the Blue Agave as a sugar replacement. Have you tried that?

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are so many options.  He also may be able to eat "regular' food just much more in moderation than he has been.  For ice cream Blue bunny has a great sugar free selection for flavors.   Do not use splenda for your sweetener in any cooking since it can cause insulin resistance in the body as well as cause level spikes.

• bluedolly01
    July 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    Thanks for that. I knew cinnamon was/is good for a bunch of things I didn't know about using it for diabetes though.

I think this is going to be a large learning curve for us all.

Quoting PeaceLoveAndTea:

Greek yogurt with agave and cinnamon (cinnamon actually helps regulate blood sugar, so it's really good for diabetics) and sometimes some berries thrown in. 

• terpmama
    July 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    Dreamfields make a great tasting pasta! My dh loves it. A regular 2 oz (dry) serving is 5 carbs.
  • terpmama
    July 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    Oh and quinoa is a pretty decent sub for rice (I cook it in chicken stock not water)
  • PeaceLoveAndTea
    July 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM

My aunt was diabetic and a lot of the diet changes my grandparents and other aunts and uncles made when she got diagnosed are still around, so I'm used it. Always go agave over honey if you can. Honey spikes blood sugar, but agave is a little more mild. It can be used to substitute some ingredients in different recipes, too.

One of my aunt's favorite dishes was this vegetable casserole type thing. It was sauteed sweet onions on the bottom, then yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, and potatoes. We'd do two layers, separated by a thin layer of cheese with basil, oregano, and lemon pepper or garlic salt. A thin layer of cheese on top, covered with foil and cooked at 375 for 25 minutes. Then uncover and cook for about 20 more minutes. Lots of veggies and it was filling. I still make it a lot because my 2 year old LOVES it. 

Quoting bluedolly01:

Thanks for that. I knew cinnamon was/is good for a bunch of things I didn't know about using it for diabetes though.

I think this is going to be a large learning curve for us all.

Quoting PeaceLoveAndTea:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts