Advice for Moms

bamababe1975
How do you get your teenagers to dress respectably?
May 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My 12yo and 13yo actually do pretty well at this but I don't really know what, if anything, I did that made them want to dress that way.

My 14yo cousin, however, is dressing like a skank and her mom's at a complete loss as to what to do.

How do you get a teen to dress respectably rather than slutty?

Replies

• smtxcowgirl
    May 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    You teach them when they're young.
  • Roo1234
    by Roo1234
    May 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    have a serious talk about the messages she sends to others about what she thinks about herself . ask her if she wants the attention of the boys because she wants them to just have sex with her, or if she wants a boy to like her because he values her personality.
    our culture is terrible about sending girls messages that lead to them not valuing themselves. as parents and adults in general we need to do more to counteract those messages.
  • momoftwo0406
    May 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    You teach them when they are young to cover up their body. As the parent you only allow appropriate clothes. I think it has to do with their friends also. If they are friends with skanks then they will want to be a skank too. It's all about teaching self respect
  • mommyof11050307
    May 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    I don't have teens. But when I was younger my parents approved the clothes I got. If they didn't like them I didn't get them. Plus they put the fear of god in me of I went behind their backs and got skanky cloths.
  • snowangel1979
    May 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    Having talks about the message your cloths send.
    Also telling your child no, your not wearing that. Which a lot of parents just have a hard time telling their children no.

Don't buy it. That seems pretty easy. They can buy their own cloths but how much can they buy at 14.
    I also wouldn't wash it, if she wants to dress like a 2 cent hooker she can wash her own cloths. Plus don't even think about calling me if you get in trouble at school for cloths. You can sit in the office, wear gym cloths or whatever.
  • Mommy2justone
    May 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Don't buy them those kind of clothes. And if they want to dress like a skank they can get a job and pay for clothing like that. 

• jojo_star
    May 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

You teach them about appropriate attire, which situations call for certain styles, when they are young.

• momto3B
    by momto3B
    May 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Who controls what your 14 year old cousin gets to buy? Additionally, if she is dressing as you say, odd are good the girls she hangs out with are doing the same so maybe she can work with their moms on elevating the standards of the group. 

• alexis_06
    May 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM

when i was 14 my parents were still buying my clothes..so..they had to approve them first.

• Bleacheddecay
    May 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Just because someone dresses like a skank doesn't mean they are going to behave that way. Some are highly influenced by media about what is "good" to wear.

I used to dress pretty provokatively at times. So I know a little about this.

Parents can state and model their values. Parents can refuse to buy certain things. That leaves kids to figure out how to get such clothing if they can.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts