Advice for Moms

lilmama8408
Breakfast Ideas *update*
May 16, 2013 at 7:06 AM

For the past like 2 years DH has worked 2nd shift and refused to eat breakfast. We had the kids on the same schedule so that I also got sleep so for "breakfast" we had a small lunch. Well DH is temp on days for about 6ish months. He was TDY monday and tuesday so he wasnt home. Yesterday and Tody ive had to get up to early for my own good to make a breakfast... yesterday ; steak, eggs, and toast. today; bacon, eggs, and toast.

I want to make a weeks worth of pancakes for the kids on sunday and just seal them so when they are ready to eat i just have to nuke and serve. Im not a morning/breakfast person. I need time to sit and wake up without cooking as i end up hurting myself. I also have a vacuum sealer. 

Id like to maybe make some granola bars that DH can have a mid morning snack. He's allergic to nuts tho so is DS and idk yet about DD. Hes not a big fan of breakfast sausage. Is it possible to precook bacon and vacuum seal it and it still be crispy later? Anything that I can premake like Sunday/Monday for the week would be amazing. 

*edit*

I should add that DH is super picky and wont eat biscuits unless fresh. His mom has given him food poisoning growing up so many times its unreal. Id also like to avoid usin the oven in the morning because it not only defeats the purpose of not getting up super early but it wakes the kids up. Idealy id like something i can cook on the weekend while he's doing homework that i can toss in the fridge or freezer and just nuke in the morning. 

thank you for those who have posted tho, im going to play with a couple ideas soon. dh just ordered me a 10cubic foot freezer chest.

*update*

So i mixed a couple ideas from you ladies....

I sauted some onion, garlic, shredded carrots, 1 bell pepper and cooked until all tender then let cool. Peeled and shredded some potatoes and put them in a greased 8x8 glass pan. Baked the potatoes for 20 minutes. Scrambed 7 eggs, mised in the vegies, and added cheese. I baked it for almost an hour before the egg was all cooked. And better news is that DH loved it. I was able to toss it in the fridge and nuke it this morning and put it on an english muffin. 

Replies

• lucky2Beeme
    May 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM

look at breakfast casseroles. Yes you could precook the bacon. OR you can cheat and buy it that way. Pancakes and waffles can be made  ahead and frozen then popped into toaster. You can also grill bagels or make bagel sandwiches with bacon , egg, cheese or sausage. You can cut up veggies, meats ahead of time and added grated cheeses to scrambled eggs.

• lilmama8408
    May 16, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Dh is a picky eater and wont eat the microwave bacon stuff O.o ... But he said if its safe he will eat it if i make it and vacuum seal it... not sure what the difference is lol. He wont eat pancakes or waffles but my kids will. Im looking into getting a deep freezer because mine is so packed that I cannot add anything. I like the bagel idea tho. I have veggies precut from grocery shopping but not really sure what to do with it for breakfast since I dont eat breakfast and until now hes been anti breakfast. 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

look at breakfast casseroles. Yes you could precook the bacon. OR you can cheat and buy it that way. Pancakes and waffles can be made  ahead and frozen then popped into toaster. You can also grill bagels or make bagel sandwiches with bacon , egg, cheese or sausage. You can cut up veggies, meats ahead of time and added grated cheeses to scrambled eggs.

• lucky2Beeme
    May 16, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Quoting lilmama8408:

Dh is a picky eater and wont eat the microwave bacon stuff O.o ... But he said if its safe he will eat it if i make it and vacuum seal it... not sure what the difference is lol. He wont eat pancakes or waffles but my kids will. Im looking into getting a deep freezer because mine is so packed that I cannot add anything. I like the bagel idea tho. I have veggies precut from grocery shopping but not really sure what to do with it for breakfast since I dont eat breakfast and until now hes been anti breakfast. 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I chop veggies and ham and put them into sandwich freezer bags. Then pull them out and add to eggs. If you go to all recipes.com they have some great brekafast casseroles. We esp love the one with hashbrown crust. So eay and tasts delicious. You could make it on Sunday and have it monday and tues depending on how much he and the kids eat. You just cut into sq and heat in microwave. You can use any meats or veggies you like.

• lucky2Beeme
    May 16, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Also if breakfast is going to be his big meal it doesnt have to be breakfast food.

• lilmama8408
    May 16, 2013 at 7:41 AM

His big meal of the day is still dinner. He doesnt eat much in the morning. He comes home for lunch mid day since his work is so close. And then he has a big dinner sometimes two dinners.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Also if breakfast is going to be his big meal it doesnt have to be breakfast food.

• kim8934
    by kim8934
    May 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM

bacon can be cooked in the oven on parchment paper.  I do it all the time.  It is faster, easier and less messy.  we cook waffles a lot.  Any extras are sealed up and frozen for the next time someone wants them.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    May 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You can cook the bacon and pancakes ahead and just store them in the refrigerator in baggies or other storage containers. For the bacon I'd probably freeze what wouldn't be eaten in maybe 4-5 days and then pull it from the freezer and reheat. I've often done pancakes. I just pile them on a plate after they are cool and wrap and refrigerate them, and then to serve I put whatever I want on the plate, cover the plate with a microwave cover (although for pancakes you don't really have to cover them) nuke and eat, they are fine.

• lilmama8408
    May 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    I want to avoid getting up early and it takes my oven 30-45min to heat and wakes up my kids. I might try that for dinner ideas tho, ty

Quoting kim8934:

bacon can be cooked in the oven on parchment paper.  I do it all the time.  It is faster, easier and less messy.  we cook waffles a lot.  Any extras are sealed up and frozen for the next time someone wants them.

• choco_mom
    May 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Try some egg muffins. 

Take a bowl and scramble a bunch of eggs and add your favorites like ham, cheese, mushroom, spinich etc. mix all that up and pour into the muffin cups (spray them first so the eggs don't stick) and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.  Then just put them in the fridge and you can microwave them when your ready.  They are yummy and easy...I think I need to make me some tonight LOL!

• lilmama8408
    May 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    That sounds amazing. I want easy micrwave stuff bc the oven wakes me kids up and still requires me to be up at 5am

Quoting choco_mom:

Try some egg muffins. 

Take a bowl and scramble a bunch of eggs and add your favorites like ham, cheese, mushroom, spinich etc. mix all that up and pour into the muffin cups (spray them first so the eggs don't stick) and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.  Then just put them in the fridge and you can microwave them when your ready.  They are yummy and easy...I think I need to make me some tonight LOL!

Advice for Moms