Advice for Moms

Femommy
Cries at the sight of food.
by Femommy
May 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM
My 18m son has had no appitite in three days. I can't get him to eat anything. I'm not pushing eating im just letting him eat what he is willing to eat. He does have RSV/bronchitis according to dr he saw yesterday. So we have him on antibiotic. Should I get him some pedia sure just to make sure he is getting some nutrition? It just worries me he won't eat. I even put his favorite foods infront of him. But no luck.... He rather drink his milk/juice.

Replies

• MrsWhite101610
    May 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    Maybe try fruit/veggie smoothies? You can out yogurt in the smoothies. My dd drinks pediasure and it definitely has nutrients but its expensive. If you chose to buy some buy a little at a time incase he feels better and starts eating normal again.
  • frndlyfn
    May 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I would do smoothies over pediasure.  You can add yogurt to a smoothie that has fresh fruits/veggies to help counteract the antibiotics in a good way.   I am sure he has no appetite since those illnesses make your tummy feel icky.

• Femommy
    by Femommy
    May 13, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    I didn't even think about smoothies. He loves them. He was already picky before he got sick. But now I can't get him to eat anything really. It worries me because I know he's not getting his nutrition he needs. I have some vitamins at home "Polyvisol" I'm going to start giving him too. Not sure if he can have the gummies yet.
  • yperez0209
    May 13, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I would be more concerned if he wasn't drinking, but he is, so that's a good sign. 

I like what the the other moms suggested of making him smoothies... great idea because you can hide all kinds of nutrition in there. I don't see any harm in getting him pediasure. I will say some suggest to stay away from milk when a child is having tummy trouble ( not sure if pediasure contains milk ) obviously smoothies do. My mother ( she's very into natural remedies and such. ) always told me not to give a sick child milk because it produces more mucus, being that he has rvs don't know how you might feel about that. I mentioned this to my kid's pedi. and she didn't say yes or no.

In a nut shell if I was in your position I would try the smoothies regardless of my doubts about the milk factor if it gets him to eat. How about making those jello gigglers. Follow the recipe and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes, let him cut out the shapes, if he won't drink the smoothie freeze it and put a Popsicle stick in it. 

How is his breathing? Does the cough let him sleep at night?

He will come around. These viruses make there tummies hurt. Good luck, I hope he feels better. 

• Femommy
    by Femommy
    May 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    yperez0209- I've heard that about milk also. His pedi always says when they are sick to reduce intake of milk because it causes more upset to tummy. He suggested pedialyte when he was younger. But I've been giving him diluted apple juice. Which he said was ok. As of yesterday his fever went down and not that much coughing anymore. Which at that time he only had two dosage of antibiotic. He's sleeping good and all. I think the main concern was his throat being inflammed, swollen and his nasty cough. The only time he had any problem breathing was when he was running and playing hard. I'm going to have to try the jello too. I forgot about that too. :/ I've been do scatter brain lately.
  • woodswalker
    May 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I wouldnt worry about the nutrition for a few days.  If he's that sick, it's mainly important that he stay hydrated.   You're doing everything right.   He will start feeling better soon.

• Femommy
    by Femommy
    May 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    He ate a few Cheerios this morning. But I just give him a strawberry banana smoothie and he is loving it. :)
  • Bmat
    by Bmat
    May 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM

He may have a sore throat poor babe.  Popsicles, sherbet, well-iced other juices. With bronchitis I probably wouldn't try to push milk products, although if he wanted them then OK. The main thing is to keep him hydrated- plenty of liquids.

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    May 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Sometimes an antibiotic will upset their stomachs so I'd recommend maybe some yogurt drinks of some kind. If he had a sore throat it's understandable why he wouldn't want to eat, but a yogurt and fruit frozen (blended with ice) smoothie might go down better, plus help him not get diarrhea from the antibiotic.

• Momofmenagerie
    May 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    No food is fine, no milk either. Clear fluids are best until the RSV is cleared up, pedialyte is great, pediasure not so much.

We can survive on liquids just fine until his illnesses subside.

I'm sorry he's sick

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts