Advice for Moms

Chubsmommy325
Sleep through the night
May 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Chubs's is 13 months and she doesn't sleep through the night, she wakes up in the middle of the night hungry or thirsty, if she has a large bottle she wakes up thirsty....if not she's hungry... She normally takes a nap for about 1 and half hours to 3 hours yesterday she only got a 30 minute nap she ate 11oz milk before bed and she slept through the night I don't know what to do, in October we'll have baby #2 I want chubs to be sleeping through the night by then. Help!?

She shows signs of sleepiness about 4 hours after waking up from her nap, she has a bath, bedtime rubdown, (I use Johnson's bedtime lotion and body wash) she says good night to the family after her bath, then she has a bedtime bottle (I know I need to get her off the bottle, the last bottle is really hard) her bottle is anywhere between 8-12 oz she has a little water after that. then we snuggle until she's drowsy and almost asleep, then I lay her down she rolls to her side and sleeps.
When she wakes up she just wants milk or water depending on how much she had before sleeping.

Replies

• jhslove
    by jhslove
    May 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Can you write a bit about what your bedtime routine is?

• Chubsmommy325
    May 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Quoting jhslove:

Can you write a bit about what your bedtime routine is?

She shows signs of sleepiness about 4 hours after waking up from her nap, she has a bath, bedtime rubdown, (I use Johnson's bedtime lotion and body wash) she says good night to the family after her bath, then she has a bedtime bottle (I know I need to get her off the bottle, the last bottle is really hard) her bottle is anywhere between 8-12 oz she has a little water after that. then we snuggle until she's drowsy and almost asleep, then I lay her down she rolls to her side and sleeps.
    When she wakes up she just wants milk or water depending on how much she had before sleeping.
  • LilliesValley
    May 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    Shorten her nap time. Transition to a sippy cup with pediasure in it because it will have a lot of good stuff and protein.

Don't go in right away when she fusses at night.
  • Lindalou907
    May 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I doubt she's really hungry, it's natural for them to wake up and need that bottle to get back to sleep. You have to let her cry mama, she will learn to go back to sleep on her own. Takes about 3 nights usually. You can let her just hear your voice, but don't pick her up or feed her. Trust me. If she likes a paci you can keep it clipped to her pj's so she can find it.

• Chubsmommy325
    May 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    Quoting Lindalou907:

I doubt she's really hungry, it's natural for them to wake up and need that bottle to get back to sleep. You have to let her cry mama, she will learn to go back to sleep on her own. Takes about 3 nights usually. You can let her just hear your voice, but don't pick her up or feed her. Trust me. If she likes a paci you can keep it clipped to her pj's so she can find it.

Tried that already she cries harder she cried so hard she started gagging. I've tried not giving her a bottle but she'll keep screaming until she gets the bottle. I don't know if its she's not eating enough solids
  • Chubsmommy325
    May 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    Quoting LilliesValley:

Shorten her nap time. Transition to a sippy cup with pediasure in it because it will have a lot of good stuff and protein.

She drinks from the straw sippy cups all day that night time bottle is hard to break. How much should I shorten her nap time by?
  • LilliesValley
    May 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    I mean you are going to have to experiment. She only got a half hour and slept through the night. So try an hour for a few days and see if you get the same results. Then maybe an hour and a half. If that's to long go back to an hour.

I would try a sippy cup without the straw only because it will be closer to a bottle in theory.

Keep up with your bed time routine and if you are still using a baby monitor get rid of it or pack it away. I had to do this because I would hear dd and go into her room when she didn't need me. Then she was all happy because mommy was there. And to her that meant play time, diaper change or a bottle. I would say at first let her fuss for a few minutes and then go in and check on her. When you go in just say it's bedtime and I will see you in the morning. You need to lay down. It's hard but you need to be consistent. The second time after five minutes I would go back in and not talk and just lay her back down and get her comfortable as I could and leave. I know not everyone agrees with this method but this is what worked for me. Good luck.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting LilliesValley:

She drinks from the straw sippy cups all day that night time bottle is hard to break. How much should I shorten her nap time by?

• Chubsmommy325
    May 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    Quoting LilliesValley:

I use a video monitor before with just audio I would go in and she was just rolling over now I watch her on the video for about 5-6 minutes and then if she's not quieting I go in and get her comfortable then try to leave it works sometimes a few pats and she's back to sleep other times it doesn't work.

I've also got to find the method that works best without screams the in laws live with us so the few times I let her cry they would go in and soothe her and when I tried explaining the whole family called me mean. When I said it would be harder for me to take care if a newborn if she's still night waking my mil responded its okay ill take care of her. I don't like that because my bil does that he just lets mil take care of his baby almost 100% she likes it but I had chubs and I'm having her brother or sister so I guess I'm weird lol
  • LilliesValley
    May 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    Well your living situation really complicates things. I don't know what to say with that because really they shouldn't interfere but their sleep is getting disrupted too. Is your living situation likely to change any time soon?

I would still get rid of the monitor because it's still getting you up. I turned mine way down and still was getting up too often.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting LilliesValley:

I use a video monitor before with just audio I would go in and she was just rolling over now I watch her on the video for about 5-6 minutes and then if she's not quieting I go in and get her comfortable then try to leave it works sometimes a few pats and she's back to sleep other times it doesn't work.

I've also got to find the method that works best without screams the in laws live with us so the few times I let her cry they would go in and soothe her and when I tried explaining the whole family called me mean. When I said it would be harder for me to take care if a newborn if she's still night waking my mil responded its okay ill take care of her. I don't like that because my bil does that he just lets mil take care of his baby almost 100% she likes it but I had chubs and I'm having her brother or sister so I guess I'm weird lol

• Lindalou907
    May 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Starting to gag is normal, I know it's hard to deal with but you need your sleep!

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting Lindalou907:

Tried that already she cries harder she cried so hard she started gagging. I've tried not giving her a bottle but she'll keep screaming until she gets the bottle. I don't know if its she's not eating enough solids

Advice for Moms