Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
immortalsoul04
being a mom while being on the computer all day
May 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Hi, I have a 6 month old daughter. I currently work and go to school both online so im pretty much on the computer from the moment I wake up till I go to bed. My daughter has seen me sit in front of my laptop since she was born and its hard to play with her and do my work at the same time. I feel so bad because I feel like im not helping her develop the skills she needs or get the attention she needs. Is anybody else out there in the same circumstance and how do you do it? Should I feel like Im impeding her development by not actively playing with her all day and just 10 minutes here and there. Thank you

Replies

• peaceseeker84
    May 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I teach online, so I understand. DS is 14 months. I  schedule play time for him just like I schedule time to work. Of course it's not foolproof, but it's a start. During my scheduled breaks I read to him and try to do more developmental things. During the random times he wants attention, I just play whatever for a few mintues and he's fine.

If you were outside of the home working, you wouldn't be playing with your daughter all day either. Look at it like that. 

• SandZmom
    May 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Same position with my children.  I've been running an anti-bullying Kickstarter campaign for the last few weeks which increased the hours I already worked in front of the computer as a freelance writer.  My daughters, 4 and 20 months, pretty much entertain and teach themselves as homeschooling dwindled to 15 minute increments every two hours.  I have to get better, but definitely take time to schedule your children in as you would all else. Our children are of the utmost importance, and we have to provide for them by doing our jobs, but another facet of caring for them is interacting with them.  Otherwise, daycare would be a better option. http://kck.st/ZWYR8K

• sabrtooth1
    May 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Quoting peaceseeker84:

If you were outside of the home working, you wouldn't be playing with your daughter all day either. Look at it like that. 

If she were working outside the home, the child would be in daycare, or with a nanny, or a grandparent, or SOMEBODY.  And hopefully, that SOMEBODY would be playing with the child, reading to her, helping her with her skills, and paying attention to her whenever she is awake. 

That's what I do with my granddaughter--& have since she was 6 weeks old.  She is 15 months now.   That is also what MY mother, and the daycare, did with MY kids.

If the op needs to be on line continuously all day, she should get a babysitter in to take care of her child.  Or she should take care of her own kid, and do her online work at night 

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    May 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I think it might be helpful for you to have someone come in and play with your child and give her attention, even if you just have someone come in for an hour a day. This is in addition to the time you already play with her. She'll only be little for a short while, so find as much time as you can to spend with her.

• brieri
    by brieri
    May 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Look for a mother's helper = child or sitter in the neighborhood who can watch her durinng the time you are doing your work.

• ---terrah---
    May 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I don't think that you should feel guilty at all but I do think that as your LO grows, she is going to need more interaction than just sitting on your lap while you work at the computer. So even though she is young now, I would start making plans for the future. Especially once your LO becomes mobile, she's not going to be so content to just sit on your lap all day. See if you can't find someone to come over and watch her while you do your work...maybe a friend or family member. 

• immortalsoul04
    May 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Thank you everybody I appreciate all the responses and ideas, it really helped.
  • peaceseeker84
    May 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

If she worked at night, when would she sleep? I've worked at a daycare before, and children are not constantly played with. There would be some sort of schedule in place, which was my point of bringing it up.

Also, depending on some people's finanacial situation, a nanny or sitter may not be a daily option.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Quoting peaceseeker84:

If she were working outside the home, the child would be in daycare, or with a nanny, or a grandparent, or SOMEBODY.  And hopefully, that SOMEBODY would be playing with the child, reading to her, helping her with her skills, and paying attention to her whenever she is awake. 

That's what I do with my granddaughter--& have since she was 6 weeks old.  She is 15 months now.   That is also what MY mother, and the daycare, did with MY kids.

If the op needs to be on line continuously all day, she should get a babysitter in to take care of her child.  Or she should take care of her own kid, and do her online work at night 

• HappyMommyToo
    May 5, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Bump

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts