Advice for Moms

Cafe Steph
Do you think being overprotective could make your child more apt to be bullied?
May 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Even When We Try to Do Right By Our Kids, We're Doing Wrong

by Michele Zipp

mother child holding handsMost of us don't want to be a helicopter parent. It just sounds bad. And annoyingly loud. Choppy even. Hover parent? Sounds awful as well. Overprotective. Overbearing. No. No. No thanks. But the reality is, sometimes we are despite our best efforts. Parenting is confusing. We work it out, though. Try to figure out the best course of action while we react to each action -- terrible, mediocre, fantastic -- of our kids. Some days it feels that everything we do is wrong. And sometimes it really is. 

Two studies have come out revealing that things we do to protect our kids can actually be hurting them. It could make them more susceptible to bullying and in other cases give them unhealthy views of food, in turn increasing their risk of being obese. 

My parents made me and my sister members of the "clean plate club." Well, they wanted us to be. Sometimes we were. I was kind of anti that for my kids thinking I was forcing my little ones to eat. I thought that was bad. A new study out of the University of Minnesota says that kids who had food restrictions had more weight issues, and more cases of obesity. That's not good. Someone told me a story about how two siblings were never allowed to chew gum when they were kids. They wanted gum so bad that they would find some under restaurant tables and chew that. "Food" restriction gone wrong.

So what exactly does food restriction mean? There are those of us who tell our kids they can't have juice or candy or chocolate and really stick by that rule. My world is currently crumbling. I am that mom. No juice! No sweets! I even scolded my in-laws when they sent a motherload of candy and chocolate for Easter and hid every piece, eating them myself or sending them to friends who eat it. I am screwing up my kids because of this when I thought I was protecting them from rotted teeth and bellies full of garbage. But creating too many of these "don't eat that" or "you can't eat this" sets unhealthy views of food. Instead we should tell them to eat (healthy choices of course), get them more involved in the food shopping and cooking, maybe even create a clean plate club. Noted.

And now about this bullying business.

In studies from England's University of Warwick, it was discovered that the kids of overprotective moms and dad were 10 percent more likely be victims of bullying. Essentially they feel that if parents are constantly intervening or not letting the child explore things on their own, they won't be able to stand up for themselves or be assertive enough. No autonomy. The researchers said, however, that we should still be involved and supportive, and of course show love and affection as it has positive outcomes on our kids. Doubly noted.

Until the next study comes out and tells us something different.

What do you think of these studies? Do you think being overprotective could make your child more apt to be bullied? What do you think about the food restriction study?

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    May 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Eh, six of this, half a dozen of the other, is how I see it. Could being protective make them more prone to bullying, depending on what that means, it could. It is likely. Not really. JMO.

• Chubsmommy325
    May 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    I think there's a fine line between overprotective and OVERprotective trying to hide your kids from the world won't do them much go because the world isn't going anywhere. At first I didn't want chubs to have juice or sweets but I've come to accept that if I don't give it to her one way or another when she's older she'll have it. Do I'm teaching moderation she can't have juice after 12 pm and sweets are only after she finishes all of her food, I've found that if she eats all her food be t lunch or dinner she's less inclined for to eat sweets
  • elkmomma
    May 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I hate statistics in these type of studies.  There are good and bad points to both.  Although I am more apt to agree with the bully one, but it also depends on the ages of the kids. 

• PinkButterfly66
    May 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Blame the victim, not the criminal.  It works so well in rape cases.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    May 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    I never helicopter parented. Mine were not bullied.

Advice for Moms