Featured Posts
20ACE13
Am I weird for allowing my kids to do things for themselves?
by 20ACE13
May 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I ask this because my neighbor is always so amazed that my 2 and 3 yr olds can get their own water from the sink or they get their own snacks after asking for them. I made cleaning the house fun for them because they love to vacuum so when they ask to vacuum i tell them they have to pick up the floor first and they actually doi it.

Its like he expects my kids tobe waited on hand and foot and I figure at 2 and 3 they are showing that they want to do things for themselves so I figure let them as long as what they are doing isnt going to put them in harms way. I feel like a very overprotective parent when it comes to them like when we are out I dont let them more than about 4 feet from me unless we are at the park and even then i am walking around the play equiptment keeping my eyes on both of them all the time. So when I let them have independance at home is that weird?   My husband thinks its great that they go get their own cups and they get the juice and bring it to him saying "please" especially my daughter who is 2 and talking on her terms only. He loves that they want to help with the laundry because they get to put the coins in (I have a commercial washer that came from a laundramat). We supervise them when they want to do these things but if they want to learn and they love doing things for themselves and they get to feel like they helped I think its a win for all of us.

So I guessI wonder how much independance do your kids have?

Replies

• PerfectVirgo
    May 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    I always hear it from my mother that I'm mean. I'm not mean. My youngest is 7. Why can't they pour some juice? Make a snack? Clean up?
  • 20ACE13
    by 20ACE13
    May 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I haven't been told I am mean yet, but the way my neighbor looks at me is like I have 4 heads its kind of funny but after hearing it enough times I had to ask on here :)

• Jenn8604
    May 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    Oh gosh your neighbor would hate me. My son was making his own pb sandwich all by himself before 2. He gets most his own food and drink unless it's cooked at 4. Oh and even worse he LOVES to scrub the bathroom, the walls, the floors, whatever with me. What are we doing wrong? LOL!!!
  • GleekingOut
    May 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Just a question - with the washing machine - do you just reuse the coins over and over again? And I think it's great :) I love working with kids and we say "Packing up time!" and they rush to be the first ones done with their area and to come and sit on the mat. It's brilliant.

• 20ACE13
    by 20ACE13
    May 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Yup thats exactly it. Its kind of a funny story and I joke the story officially made us redneck, we were given a goat which I hated a billy goat at that with hornes. THe goat lived here like 8 months and thought he was oneof our dogs.One day our trash man came by (he is the neighbor actually lol) and his mom was with him she asked about the goat and wanted him so a few weeks later when my washer went up she offered this one she got at an auction and when we got it I had like 8 loads of laundry to do and couldn't find a quarter to save my life LOL

Quoting GleekingOut:

Just a question - with the washing machine - do you just reuse the coins over and over again? And I think it's great :) I love working with kids and we say "Packing up time!" and they rush to be the first ones done with their area and to come and sit on the mat. It's brilliant.

• Roximoxi
    May 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

The kids who know how to function on their own are the ones who will continue to push this society forward.  We need hard workers.  There are so many parents who coddle their children, over protect them, do every little thing for them... it is creating a new generation of lazy, non-thinkers.  Keep pushing your kids - it makes them achievers!  Be PROUD that your child can do something that other much older kids cannot.

• beadingmom17
    May 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    If you're weird, than so am I! My girls (6 and 4.5) can get their own drinks, their own snacks, make their own PBJs, dress themselves, put on their own socks and shoes, etc. I've never understood the mentality of doing everything for your kids when they're older and more than capable. I have my own shit to get done! Lol
  • jojo_star
    May 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

My kids are 11, 14, 15, and 16. They are fully independent. They always have been. If they can do it, I let them do it. 

• Firenygirl180
    May 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    My almost two year old is learning to do things on his own. He will get his cup from the fridge and ask fit what he wants. We keep snacks out of his reach though because otherwise he'd eat nothing else. He is a good helper and i let him try.
  • JTE11
    by JTE11
    May 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I give DD as much independence as she can handle, plus a little more. She wants all independence all of the time (she's two so of course she does) but it's not always possible, feasable, or even safe to let her but I give her as much as possible. She always wants to do things on her own, even if it means struggling and failing. She'd rather try for 15 minutes and totally fail on her own than have me help her so I just let her go with things as much as I can.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN