Advice for Moms

arwalters
anyone heard of nasal conjunctivitis?
April 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM
My friend woke up this morning to her daughter having crusty red eyes and brought her to the Dr. the Dr told her it wasn't pink eye but she had nasal conjunctivitis. What?! I can't find anything that lists that as real condition

Replies

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    April 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    Never heard of it. Did she get an antibiotic.
  • Rota
    by Rota
    April 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

There is no such thing. She could have an eye infection from wiping her nose and then putting her hands to her eyes. It is STILL conjuctivitis and should be treated.

• arwalters
    April 24, 2013 at 5:01 AM
    he gave her some drops, she doesn't know what they are so I told her to ask pharmacist if they are for treating pink eye, and if not to take her and demad the right drops or find another dr. he sounds like a total quack to me. he also told her that her daughter's hearing was diminished by 20%. How can he know that without a hearing test? I convinced her to call the ent but he wont see her w/o a referral so idk guess we'll see what happens
  • unspecified42
    April 24, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    The conjunctiva is the mucus membranes around your eye. Ergo, conjunctivitis, which just means inflammation of those membranes, not I section. It is true that everything there is connected, so an infection in one may cause symptoms in another, too, which is probably what he was explaining.

Not all conjunctivitis is caused by bacteria and needs antibiotic drops/creams. Truly, most probably doesn't. Like ear infections, it's mostly viral and will clear up on its own. Also can be chemical, environmental, etc. The doc isn't a "quack" for not prescribing unnecessary medications, parents just aren't well educated about common childhood illnesses and think they need a pill for every ill.
  • arwalters
    April 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    I've heard about pink eye usually being viral but every single time ds, dh, or I have gotten it the antibiotic drops clear it up almost instantly and most drs prescribe it just in case. As for the Dr, I happen to know this one they are the only office in this town that takes medicaid and I garuntee you they do not treat medicaid patients very well. Since ds has been under private insurance I've noticed a huge difference in care he receives now compared to when he was on medicaid. I wish I had been so trusting before because he having problems now because of mistakes they made. I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing but they spend as little time and resources as possible rushing the patients out of the office and therefore often missing something or not taking the time to properly assess patients. I wish my friend did not have to be on medicaid. Like I said it's huge difference. I love ds's new drs and appreciate the time they take talking to me without being rude or patronizing. I'm definitely not an ignorant parent. I do the research and act as an advocate for my son
  • newwifenmom
    April 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Never heard of it.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts