Featured Posts
Kelly128
Cheap Birthday for 5 yr old
April 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

My son's birthday is coming up soon and we are REALLY broke right now. He wants a wrestling party since he loves wwe so much. His class has about 15 kids. We really don't want that many 4-5 yr olds running around our house so we were thinking the park, but then we have to worry about keeping an eye on that many kids and possibly being rained out. I am looking for any suggestions on inexpensive party ideas to entertain a bunch of little ones and party favor/ decorations. Thanks!

Replies

• frndlyfn
    April 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I would tell him that he could invite one friend out for a day out or something.   We were broke for dd's bday so we just did a family day and sent in cupcakes for the class to share at lunch time. The cupcakes were 15 dollars.

• brittany208
    April 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Have 4-5 kids to your house to play in the backyard. Make homemade cupcakes, a bag of chips, a thing of juice... no reason parties have to be expensive.

• JCB911
    by JCB911
    April 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I like the other poster's idea as well - pick a friend and have a fun (cheap) day.

I don't care how much money my family has or doesn't have - like hell I'd every host a party for 15 kids!!  That's insane!  Have hime invite 2 -4 kids over, make his cake from scratch (tastes way better and is so cheap!)  make pizzas for the meals (again SO good and cheap). Have the friends help make their own pizzas.   I know nothing about the WWE but can't you just throw some crepe paper streamers around the house for decorations.  Entertain the handful of kids by just letting them play, plan a scavanger hunt, hold races, make the pizzas I mentioned above.  I suppose you could get some construction paper and maybe they could make those big belt things wrestlers wear (that's the extent of my WWE knowledge).

• JCB911
    by JCB911
    April 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I like this idea - scratch my pizza one. Just hold the party in the afternoon between meals (like from 2-4) and so just serve cupcakes (homemade) and juice.

Quoting brittany208:

Have 4-5 kids to your house to play in the backyard. Make homemade cupcakes, a bag of chips, a thing of juice... no reason parties have to be expensive.

• funhappymom
    April 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Yeah, I probably wouldn't invite all the kids. That's a lot of kids. If he has one or two that he associates with more, invite them for a fun day. It will end up meaning more and be better anyway.

Happy birthday early to your son!

• brysonsmommy_10
    April 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Could he maybe invite a couple of friends and do a sleepover?  Then you only have to plan around a few.  Instead of a cake they could decorate their own cupcakes with sprinkles that are the colors of their favorite wrestlers, you could make homemade pizzas and use pepperonis (or other toppings) to spell out WWE or the names of wrestlers.

• la_bella_vita
    April 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Bump!

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    April 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Invite a couple best friends. Not the whole class.
  • LoreleiSieja
    April 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

First off, limit the guest list.  That many kids is just crazy.  A good rule of thumb is to invite as many kids as your child is old.  So five friends for a five year old.  Two friends for a two year old.  Too many kids, and the birthday child may feel overwhelmed and end up at some point in tears rather  than remembering the birthday as being spectacular.

Is there a pizza place near your house that might have a ball pit?  The pit filled with those 3" bright plastic balls that kids jump into?  Don't have the pizza place host the party, that's expensive, but just take the birthday kids there to have pizza and play in the pit.  Real cheap, and they'll have a blast.  You might ask ahead of time if you could bring in a birthday cake for dessert, or take the kids to your house for dessert - asking some of the moms to stick around and help car pool.

Another option: with only six kids (five plus your son) you could hold it at the park, but put in the invitation that it will be at your house in case of rain.  

Many parks have a pavilion that you have to reserve.  Some are free, some charge a small fee, but call early, as they book up.  If you get the pavilion, you can decorate, and have some shelter if the weather suddenly turns.  Although, the pavillion might not be necessary.  Little boys are less impressed with party decorations than little girls would be, generally speaking.

If the weather is warm enough, a water balloon toss can be a fun game.  Does your park have a sandbox?  Six sand pails and shovels would be cheap party gifts, and the kids will have a blast.  If you're looking for a few party games, this age group loves simple ones like "london bridge" or "Farmer and the Dell".  

With young children, simple is best.  Don't spend a lot of money (even if you do have it) because all you really want is for your child to feel loved and special.  That requires time, not cash.

• jenk928
    by jenk928
    April 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    This..
    Send in something for his whole class if you want but for his actual party, tell him he can pick one or 2 of his bestest friends to do something fun. Even if you just take them to the park and have a picnic, weather permitting.
    You can get WWE cups and plates and napkins at the party store for not too much money and have a fun relaxing day that he will remember..

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would tell him that he could invite one friend out for a day out or something.   We were broke for dd's bday so we just did a family day and sent in cupcakes for the class to share at lunch time. The cupcakes were 15 dollars.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN