Advice for Moms

Kelly128
Cheap Birthday for 5 yr old
April 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

My son's birthday is coming up soon and we are REALLY broke right now. He wants a wrestling party since he loves wwe so much. His class has about 15 kids. We really don't want that many 4-5 yr olds running around our house so we were thinking the park, but then we have to worry about keeping an eye on that many kids and possibly being rained out. I am looking for any suggestions on inexpensive party ideas to entertain a bunch of little ones and party favor/ decorations. Thanks!

Replies

• JasonsMom2007
    April 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Check for local free kid's events.  Last year for my son's birthday we started doing it at kid's day.  It was awesome!  All I have to bring is a blanket and some cupcakes.  They have free games, prizes, food for the kids, etc.  There were fire trucks, a school bus, an ambulance, and even a helicopter.  He keeps saying "remember at my party last year there was a helicopter?"  

We are so doing it again this year.  And since it's at a school the parents are more comfortable going there than to my house.  Oh, and no clean up either!

• marisab
    by marisab
    April 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

make a family day let him choose where and maybeinvite only 1-2 friends

• LindaClement
    April 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Our birthday parties never cost more then $50.

We never invited an entire class of anyone, anywhere: the number of people, and the individuals, stuffed into one room because of bureaucratic efficiencies has nothing to do with my house, or my interest in spending one more second with any of them. Invitations to social events is strictly reserved for friends.

Our party rules were: one kid for every year you're turning (so yours gets 5) --siblings don't count. Every single one of them gets to bring along a parent, or is not allowed to come --I'm not offering daycare services, either. Gifts must be under $15 value (don't care where they came from or how much was paid for them, don't bring stuff worth more than that).

We started with a craft all the kids could join in as they arrived: decorating the paper bags they'd have as goodie bags, decorating a placemat or a paper crown were some ... Then they played while the table was set for cake. Then they had cake, then we did presents, then played non-competitive games for fun (not prizes) and then they all went home.

Goodie bags contained things like stickers that matched the party theme, pencils, a polaroid shot of themselves at the party, and whatever craft they made.

The cake (and if the child asked, the ice cream) was homemade. Otherwise, they had juice and the adults got coffee or tea. The timing was always mid-afternoon, so there was never any doubt about any meal being served to anyone. 90 minute time limit, too...

• kali_mom
    April 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    Definitely I would be doing 2-3 little friends over finger foods dessert of some kind then he can open his gifts. He's 5 so just having a get together will be excitement for him.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts