Featured Posts
mylilsunshine
Why does every morning have to be a battle w/ her
April 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Every morning before school is like torture for my 3 yr dd. Well actually it's every morning when she has to get dress and go some where. It has nothing to do with being early and doesn't want to wake up because shool starts at 9 a.m and and any appts or ect is always schedule later. The  problem is she doesn't want to where clothes.

She refuses to get dress and keep the clothes on herself. I just wrestled with her a half hr ago, got her dress, left to get my ds dress too and when I came back 5 min later she was undress. She cries and screams and throws tantrums when it comes to clothes. We bought her new clothes and tried them on her and let her have some say so in what she wanted  so that way she's comfortable. Nope, she perfers just panties. 

We are now late for school. The only reason I'm on here and not trying to rush out the door is because ds (11 months) got cranky so im bf'ing him to sleep.

I've tried time outs and I feel like i'm being punish when she is on time out. I've tried talking to her in a firm and assertive voice. I've tried explaining why she needs clothes. Only thing that works is when my DH, her dad steps in. She listens and obeys him, she still cries but still gets dress. I've tried mimicking him. Well as you can tell no luck. Please any more suggestions?

Replies

• frndlyfn
    April 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Be consistent.  Time outs for not listening to mommy.  Only 3 minutes though she will probably fight you in the beginning and it will seem like hours.   Has she always had problems with wearing clothes or is it a recent thing ?  Have you noticed if she does better with dresses or pants? You could also try with the time outs a positive chart where she gets a sticker for each day she keeps her clothing on.  After 7 stickers, she can pick out a trinket at the store or go to ice cream shop.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    April 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    Kinda normal but give her a warning, then discipline. Rewars for keeping clothes on and not fighting with you.
  • Bleacheddecay
    April 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I used to have this issue so I started making my kids get dressed at night and sleep in their clothes. LOL That worked.

• Mom2Just1
    April 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    Use a reward system for keeping clothes on and being ready to go on time.
  • la_bella_vita
    April 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I've never been through this, bump!

Stay consistent.

• kali_mom
    April 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Knock on wood I have never had to deal with this. I say being consistent and sticking with the time outs are a must. You are the parent and she is the child. Control of the situation is a must. If she cooperates during the week then she gets an extra book read to her or 10 extra mins to play before bed time.
  • sdbcoach
    April 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

BUMP!

• belindah
    April 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

The night before give her a choice of two different outfits, this way she has some say in what she is wearing.  Keep "fun" things that she can only see while she is in the car, this way she looks forward to her special toy.  A picture book is great for this and you can pick up a variety of them cheap at the dollar store.

• marisab
    by marisab
    April 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    shes sounds sensory and clothes may be irritating talk to dr about sensory processing disorder
  • JasonsMom2007
    April 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM

That's what I was going to say too.  Does she have any other sensory issues?  Does she have meltdowns that just seem extreme compared to other kids?  Does she have problems eating foods with certain textures, knowing if she's hot/cold, knowing when she's hungry/full?  Knowing if she has to urinate?  Is she senstive to lights, smells, or sounds that others seem to ignore?

They say that most people have some sensory problems.  If it's just clothes I wouldn't worry too much but if it starts to interfeer with her life check into it.

Something that helped my SPD kid was heating his clothes in the dryer before he put them on.  If he didn't get them on quickly they would be cold too bad.  He got dressed quickly because he wanted them warm!

Quoting marisab:

shes sounds sensory and clothes may be irritating talk to dr about sensory processing disorder

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN