Featured Posts
Mommy2justone
My daughter has an invisible friend
April 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM

My daughter is 5.5 years old and is an only child. 
She has a friend named "Kirksy" that is a girl and plays with her when her friend isn't over (I am a nanny 3 days a week).

I don't encourage or discourage her talking about Kirksy, but I will listen to her stories about her and what they do.
It has just been in the past few weeks that "Kirksy" has shown up.

She has a neuro disorder called "Complex Motor Stereotypy" and is seen twice a month by her pediatric neurologist who also happens to be a chiropractor.  Is this something I need to bring to the attention of her neurologist? 

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    April 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Idk, maybe she just has outgrown the invisible friend stage? You can ask the doctor if you aren't sure.

• Derpy
    by Derpy
    April 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I wouldn't freak out to much,when I was 4-6 I had a invisible friend named "Sebastian".When I turned 7 he left from my imagination.
    But if you feel like something is wrong,then bring her to the doctor. 

• Mommy2justone
    April 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

She still has her little friend, so I don't think she has outgrown it yet. I am just not sure if this is something that should be brought to the Dr.'s attention or not. 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Idk, maybe she just has outgrown the invisible friend stage? You can ask the doctor if you aren't sure.

• Mommy2justone
    April 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Thank you, she doesn't seem overly obsessed about the friend, so I will just see what the dr thinks I guess. 

Quoting Derpy:

I wouldn't freak out to much,when I was 4-6 I had a invisible friend named "Sebastian".When I turned 7 he left from my imagination.
    But if you feel like something is wrong,then bring her to the doctor. 

• belindah
    April 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I had an invisble friend when I was young, be happy hers is a human, mine was a mouse.  My youngest dd had one also.  In fact I thought it was a child she met at headstart or on the bus, it took me a week to find out this child was made up she has out grown it.

• ericndaimonsmom
    April 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    When in doubt, ask the doctor. It is part of their job to listen to parents' concerns.
    Many kids have imaginary friends. As long as they don't start getting into trouble w the "friend", I'd say your fine.
  • etsmom
    by etsmom
    April 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My dd is almost 5 and has three imaginary friends. I listen to her playing with Ashley, Emily and Jack in the afternoons. My sister used to play with the Ninja Turtles in the closet when she was about 5. I think its pretty normal, but if you are concerned you can always talk to her pedi.

• ScrChk23
    April 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My guess is that she is using her imagination.

• marisab
    by marisab
    April 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    its normal to have apretend friend but i dont know much about this disorder so i woukd ask dr advice just in case
  • countrygirl06
    April 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I wouldn't worry too much, my daughter is 5 and comes up with imaginary friends all the time. Like other's have said if your still worried talk to her dr.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts