Advice for Moms

kristina_b
my 11 year old son cut his hair?!?!
March 22, 2013 at 6:35 AM
yesterday upon picking my son up from school I noticed something different about him. he always has a short hair clipper cut, As he was walking towards me I noticed 3 patches of hair missing from the front of his head. Large enough for me to see immediately. I tryed to talk to him about it and it upset him to the point of tears. I questioned whether or not someone had done that to him, if hes being bullied? to each of which the answer was no. He insist he doesnt know why he did it. My husband says its a silly thing he did out of boredom. Am I reading to deep into this? I do know that it is way out of my sons character to do something like this. Also if anyone has any advice to help with talking with him about this I would be most grateful. Thank you and have a blessed day

Replies

• gsmom9
    by gsmom9
    March 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM

photo op moment. probably a one time haircutting incident. one of those life learning situations. hes bored during class? hes either too advanced or hes having trouble with the lessons, and is getting frustrated. ive been there...argh. if anything, email or talk to his teacher for ideas. good luck mama

• zacmacsmomm
    March 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Totally photo op moment.  And yea you are reading to deep in it.  My daughter used to cut her hair all the time.  Once she cut her bangs off, just in the center though.  She wasn't in trouble at all because she was the one that had to go around looking like that lol

• STVUstudent
    March 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

LOL... he was probably trying to achieve a particular look, and when it didn't work out the way he planned, was embarassed about it.  I would let it go.  Or maybe ask him, matter of fact, "Do you want to go to the barber shop?"  leave it at that.  Take him to get it fixed (unless you do it yourself), and just don't make a big deal out of it.  It will probably not happen again.

MOST kids cut their hair at some point in their lives... or cut someone elses' hair.  Most do it younger.  Some much later.  It's only hair- it will grow back.

At 2, my daughter smeared a whole jar of vaseline in her hair (she is white- my youngest is AA and we are always putting something in her hair, so big sis probably wanted to do her hair as well)... At 4, she cut her hair, and her doll's hair.  Baby girl, at 3-1/3, cut HER doll's hair... I suspect that one or both of them cut their brother's hair at some point, but I can't prove it and nobody fessed up.

• whoodathunk
    March 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I'd be concerned with an 11 yo crying about it.  I'd sit down quietly, tell him you're not upset but you need to know the truth so that you know he's safe.  Maybe you can give him a tight buzz till ig grows back.

• MicheleJM
    March 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Vaseline? I bet that was a joy to get out.

Quoting STVUstudent:

LOL... he was probably trying to achieve a particular look, and when it didn't work out the way he planned, was embarassed about it.  I would let it go.  Or maybe ask him, matter of fact, "Do you want to go to the barber shop?"  leave it at that.  Take him to get it fixed (unless you do it yourself), and just don't make a big deal out of it.  It will probably not happen again.

MOST kids cut their hair at some point in their lives... or cut someone elses' hair.  Most do it younger.  Some much later.  It's only hair- it will grow back.

At 2, my daughter smeared a whole jar of vaseline in her hair (she is white- my youngest is AA and we are always putting something in her hair, so big sis probably wanted to do her hair as well)... At 4, she cut her hair, and her doll's hair.  Baby girl, at 3-1/3, cut HER doll's hair... I suspect that one or both of them cut their brother's hair at some point, but I can't prove it and nobody fessed up.

• STVUstudent
    March 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

yeah, vaseline is a joy... I almost cut her hair that day... all told, it took over a week to get it all out.

Baking soda... and a blow dryer... and dawn dishwashing liquid...

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    March 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I am concerned about the tears, too.  Tell him you aren't angry but you need to know the truth.

Quoting whoodathunk:

I'd be concerned with an 11 yo crying about it.  I'd sit down quietly, tell him you're not upset but you need to know the truth so that you know he's safe.  Maybe you can give him a tight buzz till ig grows back.

• 1boy1girlmama
    March 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

My stepson did that at about the same age.  He wanted his bangs trimmed, his mom was busy so he took it upon himself to do it. He was in 5th grade when he did that. He was super embarassed too but it grew back. 

• SweetLuci
    March 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

You are reading too much into it, I think. Just drop it. But talking to his teacher sure couldn't hurt.

• Bleacheddecay
    March 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM

This.

Quoting whoodathunk:

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts