Advice for Moms

luvemboth
4h
March 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Anyone here have kids involved in 4h? The more I look online, the more confused I get. Some places it says it's for 9-18 yr olds, other places says 5-18. My 7 yo is interested. Anyone know what the minimum age is to show animals @ the fair?

I emailed someone about it, but while I wait for a response, I figured I'd ask here.

Replies

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    March 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I found this at the Four H site- in most states the ages are 8 to 18, but some areas have age appropriate activities for younger children.

• erinsmom1964
    March 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    Depends on your local group. In small farming communities they tend to start really young. Larger more diverse communities will start older
  • MJP76
    by MJP76
    March 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I was in 4H as a kid. I was 7 when I started, and they tend to group kids together in the same age group, similar to Girl Scouts. That's the extent of my knowledge 

• luvemboth
    March 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    Ah, ok, I didn't realize it varied by location. That's why I'm finding conflicting answers. Thank you.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Depends on your local group. In small farming communities they tend to start really young. Larger more diverse communities will start older

• 25beengoodtome
    March 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I would guess the age changes with every state.

• MamaSnaps
    March 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Find your local 4H. As far as I know they do kinder thru ??? But it may be different depending on different chapters!

• Zazayam
    by Zazayam
    March 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I was in it, and LOVED it! My boys had/have zero interest in such things, I'm hoping my little girl does. :)

The age req differs by chapters, I started at 7 but you'll have to ask your local ones. For the fair it depends on what kind of animal. I showed my first rabbit at 8 I think.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts