Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
Mom-3girls-1boy
Pypar or Piper name spelling
March 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
My step daughter who lives with my husband and I is named Pypar. she made me a card the other day with it spelled piper and had a great explanation of why Pypar isn't the correct spelling. My husband is fine with her spelling it however she likes but mom isn't . I think piper would be better long term as a more professional spelling. She says her names is always pronounced wrong and misspelled and she is tired of correcting people because Pypar isn't the correct letter sounds. What do you all think?

Replies

• Lindalou907
    March 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I'm with her. I feel sorry for kids with bizarre name spellings, and any name that's sexually ambiguous too. I know a couple of guys named Kelly, they've gotten nothing but grief their whole lives.

• Amberleigh81
    March 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    I hate stupidly spelled names. Poor little girl. Mom needs to let her go with her comfort.
  • nuts4scouts
    March 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM

How old is this girl?

If she is old enough to know how it "should" be spelled, and complain to your husband (her dad) then she is old enough to take up the issue with her mother.

While I, personally, think that off beat spellings are silly, and a bit pretentious, many folks with them like them, and feel it makes them unique.

This is not anything you want to get in the middle of. It is between the child, and her birth parents.

When the girl turns 18, if she still hates her name she can go to court, and have it legally changed to anything she wishes. 

Perhaps by then she will want it to be TT-Purr !

• alexis_06
    March 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

i like the spelling of piper better as well!! i hate crazy spelling names!

• CarolinaGirl88
    March 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Ew, I really hate Pypar for the spelling of that and exactly for the reason she said with the letter sounds. Pypar makes me think I should say it Pipe-are not Pie-per. I really don't like that spelling and now it's going to be stuck in my head lol.

• Mom-3girls-1boy
    March 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM
    She doesn't have much of a relationship with her mother . she has been living with my husband and I since she was 2 years old. Mom just started coming around again last year. She is 7 years old so I don't think an official name change needs to be done at this time.

Quoting nuts4scouts:

How old is this girl?

If she is old enough to know how it "should" be spelled, and complain to your husband (her dad) then she is old enough to take up the issue with her mother.

While I, personally, think that off beat spellings are silly, and a bit pretentious, many folks with them like them, and feel it makes them unique.

This is not anything you want to get in the middle of. It is between the child, and her birth parents.

When the girl turns 18, if she still hates her name she can go to court, and have it legally changed to anything she wishes. 

Perhaps by then she will want it to be TT-Purr !

• frndlyfn
    March 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I like Piper much better.  When she gets older she can legally change her name to the other spelling.

• raegan1221
    March 20, 2013 at 2:33 AM
    Very mature little girl. I agree with her.
  • emmy526
    by emmy526
    March 20, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Pypar has the abitlity to be confused for a foreign name, imo...if i saw that name, i'd think it was pronounced        'pie-pahrr'...

• Quinn525
    March 20, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    I really don't like the way her name is spelled & I even did an unique spelling with my sons name. (Griffyn in hopes that if it was shortened it would go to Fynn rather than Griff or Griffy.)

If she is really serious she should change it when she is 18. When we changed sd last name (as a result of dh being added to her birth certificate, bm had to sign off on the name change to use both our last names)

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts