Featured Posts
CatFishMom
Baby number three-shower or no shower? Small Edit!
March 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Okay, Im fed up trying to plan this and I need help. Im having my third baby, my first girl. My boys will be five and two when this baby arrives this summer. I need literally nothing but a bath tub, diapers, and girls' clothes because I have everything else. With my first, we did the requisite full shower. My second we did a 'sprinkle' because I think every baby deserves to be celebrated and the only thing I registered for were little toys-for some reason my first born didnt have many of those-and some wash cloths, maybe clothes, I dont even remember now but not a single big thing because I kept everything from the first and it was all neutral. Now to number three, same goes-all neutral, kept it all, blah blah. My mother was orignally planning a diaper shower where everyone is invited and just asked to bring a package of diapers. I was okay with this, my sisterinlaw did this with her third in as many years. Now we know it's a girl and shes thinking bigger than just a diaper shower.
I need opinions on this-specifically is it 'acceptable' to have a bigger shower because this is the first girl, shold I make a registry if I do have one, or is it tacky to have a bigger shower at all-because Im tired of searching for 'themes'-not one Ive seen appeals to me-and if I agree and leave it up to her, I'll end up with this stupid girly shower full of lace and ribbons and pink-all of which are so NOT me. HELP!

To clarify-Im not planning my own shower, bad phrasing above on my part! (if there is one) I was trying to decide on a theme-or lack thereof. Once Ive done that part, my mother and my friend are taking over. I agree it's tacky to host your own shower. Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions!

Replies

• csxt99
    by csxt99
    March 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I have never heard of item-specific showers, but if that is what you want, then go for it.  Register for whatever it is you need for the baby and leave it at that.  I don't see a need for a theme at al.

• CatFishMom
    March 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Yeah, diaper showers are a 'thing' now, especially in cases like this when it's for a later baby and it's not really 'proper' to have a real shower.

Quoting csxt99:

I have never heard of item-specific showers, but if that is what you want, then go for it.  Register for whatever it is you need for the baby and leave it at that.  I don't see a need for a theme at al.

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    March 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM
    I think baby celebrations are fine. But if really all you need us a tub, (which we all know we don't lol) then buy one and have a baby party but no expectations. :)

I would make mention like, you have baby stuff but cute outfits welcome as it's girl.
  • JoeMax
    by JoeMax
    March 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    With my second baby my MIL hosted a meet and greet at her home. That way everyone in the family got to celebrate ds and meet him, but there was no obligation for gifts. A lot of the aunts couldn't rein themselves in and brought gifts, but they were not asked to. It worked out well, though we did end up with a few things we didn't need, like you we had saved everything from first ds. The things we didn't need we passed on to my sister who was expecting. So, instead of a shower, why not do a meet and greet and let everyone know gifts are optional.
  • SoKamele
    March 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

No. I don't think it's acceptable just because it's a girl.

Go with the diaper shower.....if anyone wants to bring clothes too....then that's on them.

While I think every child deserves something....anything other than a diaper shower after the first...is just tacky....and well looks greedy.

• MrsWhite101610
    March 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    I would. It's your first girl. Maybe write on the invites diapers and clothes are all that's needed. Congrats
  • LawMom8308
    March 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM

You could do a "sprinkle" instead of a shower. Or a diaper party... Because you know people will still bring you girly things anyway. Especially with this being your first girl. I just wouldn't make a big deal out of it and invite alot of people. Just family and close friends. Don't go all out. I mean this IS your third babe.

Either way, whatever you have SOMEONE will bring you girl clothes :-)

Good luck!

• belindah
    March 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Do the diaper shower, when the word spreads its the first girl, im sure some will bring outfits, just because the lil girl outfits are wayyyyyy cute.

• MsRkg
    by MsRkg
    March 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

If you want a third shower, then you should have a third shower. Screw whatever society thinks is acceptable. You should celebrate each new life, however if you want. If you want to make a registry go for it. Family and friends who truly love you and your children, won't judge you.  Make whatever theme you want. When I had my first son, I didn't really want a baby shower at all , but I kind of got guilted into it, so I only agreed to it, if it was less baby game and themed and more adultish. To that extent, no color theme, no cute baby cake, no blue, no shower games, instead we had a bbq, beer and wine (for the non-pregnant people), and just watched a soccer game, and we stuffed some baby presents in there. I was fine with that.

• LindaClement
    March 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

You're planning your own shower? 

Oooh... faux pas.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN