Advice for Moms

kreev08
more sleep plz ???
by kreev08
March 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM
My 2 year old son doesn't quite sleep through the whole night. What can I do to help /get him to sleep through the night??

Replies

• Zazayam
    by Zazayam
    March 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM

What time does he go to bed and wake up? Does he take a long nap during the day?

• kreev08
    by kreev08
    March 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM
    He usually goes to sleep around 10 and he always wakes up around 3/4 am and comes and sleeps with me .. and he take about a 2 hr nap
  • SewingMamaLele
    March 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Yea... my 4 and 7 year olds still often wake up overnight, and sometimes come find me if they are scared or need something.   Sounds totally normal. 

You can walk him back to bed if you want... or, he'll begin being able to go potty or get back to sleep on his own when he's a bit older.   Which is not always a good thing... we've woken up in the morning to find the fridge open and the milk carton in the middle of the kitchen floor before!

• frndlyfn
    March 8, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I would gently walk him back to his bed and retuck him in.  A hug and walk back out of room so you can sleep in your bed.   DD did not sleep totally through the night (8-10 hrs straight) until after age 3 but she knew to stay in her bed if she woke up.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    March 8, 2013 at 2:23 AM
    Take him back when he comes in with you. My oldest slept 8 hours straight at 6 weeks. Youngest didn't sleep 7 or 8 hours straight till 5 months. I was so tired. We never. Let our kids sleep with us. If they were sick or scared they could sleep on our floor. That was rare. Mine were in cribs at 2 still so no walking around the house.
  • alexis_06
    March 8, 2013 at 2:56 AM

is he getting up cuz he has to pee??

• Mommy2justone
    March 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM

This is what my daughter did for a while. We started putting her to bed earlier. I know it sounds weird, but it works. She started going to bed at 8:30 instead of 10 (she was about 2.5 at this time) and she slept through the night. 

She is now 5 and she will get up when the sun comes up (usually 6) and come into bed with me till 8am. 

Quoting kreev08:

He usually goes to sleep around 10 and he always wakes up around 3/4 am and comes and sleeps with me .. and he take about a 2 hr nap

• ferne3
    by ferne3
    March 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Agreed!  I know it sounds weird, but it worked for us too.  An earlier bedtime kept our DD in bed - she is 2 and sleeps 12 hours a night.  We can't wait until our newborn is on the same schedule.  *sigh*

Quoting Mommy2justone:

This is what my daughter did for a while. We started putting her to bed earlier. I know it sounds weird, but it works. She started going to bed at 8:30 instead of 10 (she was about 2.5 at this time) and she slept through the night. 

She is now 5 and she will get up when the sun comes up (usually 6) and come into bed with me till 8am. 

Quoting kreev08:

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    March 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    You could always try an earlier bedtime!

I never advocate eliminating naps personally. My kids still rock them on occasion, well the 6 yo. The 4 yo will nap anyday you let her.

And just remember you will never sleep soundly again as long as you're a parent. Do your best! ;))
  • MrsJoe125
    March 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM

LMK when you find out. lol  My 3 yo wakes me up through the night (sometimes more, sometimes less, but at least once a night).  lol

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts