The stereotypical "not tonight, honey, I've got a headache!" excuse for skipping out on a sex really is no joke. My heart really goes out to people who suffer from chronic migraines. Seriously, a bad headache is enough to have me whimpering like a baby, and when I once had what could be considered a really bad migraine, I thought I was going to die. But researchers now say that if we're suffering from migraines, instead of reaching for painkillers, we should be actually ... having sex! That's because a new study published in the journal of the International Headache Society found that more than half of migraine sufferers who had sex during an episode experienced an improvement in symptoms. Probably because it triggers the release of endorphins, which are the body's own painkillers.
How's that for a natural, free, and hot cure? Then again, this isn't the first time we've heard of sex as a cure-all. It also works wonders on the following ...
- A hangover - A headache is usually the main symptom here, so we already know sex can help with that. But some people swear having sex eases the overall icky feeling one can get after drinking too much the night before.
- Depression - Not only will those feel-good endorphins zap a blue mood, but research has shown with people with fulfilling sex lives were found to be in better mental health, more relaxed and self-reliant, with a positive outlook.
- Cold and flu bugs - Forget vitamin C! Having sex every week has been linked to higher levels of a certain antibody called IgA, which in turn can help you fight off colds and other infections.
- Low intimacy - One of the fastest ways to feel more emotionally connected to your partner? Getting it on, of course.
- Chronic stress - Sex has been shown to lower blood pressure and reduce stress overall.
- Morning sickness - Brace yourself for this one: The best way to cure and prevent morning sickness is to ingest your biological baby daddy's semen -- either orally or vaginally, according to Gordon Gallup, a SUNY-Albany psychologist.
It's a bit ironic that all of the above are often the reasons we feel we can't have sex, but science seems to show "just doing it" may have us feeling better than ever!
What have you noticed sex has "cured" for you?
March 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM
nothing. It usually just puts me in a bad mood.
by MrsLondonMarch 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM
What the crap?? Ingesting his semen for morning sickness?? LMAO.. Of course the "doctor" who stated that was a man! Give me a break!
March 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM
It helps with my anxiety.
by caro100March 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Sex actually gives me a severe headache at times. Especially after I orgasm.
by MrsJoe125March 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Also, regular orgasms helps me fight depression (I mean orgasms with DH).
I like the idea of #6, but I'm not going to be getting pregnant anymore, so....
But I'll keep it in mind for my girls and/or DILs (if any of my kids gets married or pregnant).
by annasmom1234March 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I'm sorry, but this research is really screwed up! Anyone who has had a true migraine will tell you that sex is the last thing on their mind when they are in the middle of one. Also, I've also heard that it might make them better while you are in the act, but the migraine will return with a vengeance after you're done. As for me, just let me take my meds, leave me alone in a quiet, dark room and let me sleep it off. NO TOUCHING!
by TexaBamaBabyMarch 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Orgasm may release endorphines and all that, but getting TO that point is difficult when you're head is splitting wide open!