Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
Radellia
Newborn help! *Update*
February 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I'm having issues with my newborn son at night. During the day he's calm when he's awake, takes good naps, nurses well. At night he's always screaming, has a difficult time latching, and won't sleep without me or DH holding him. I want to avoid co-sleeping, but last night his best sleep was after feeding (we were both lying down) and I let him stay in bed next to me - slept 4 hours!

Any advice on how to adjust him into his crib, getting a better sleep schedule at night? Of course DH and I expect to wake up multiple times, but right now one of us is constantly awake!

Update:

http://www.target.com/p/summer-infant-by-your-side-sleeper/-/A-13680579#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=By+your+side+sleeper

So a friend of mine suggested that it could possibly be that his crib is too much of a big open space and suggested we try the sleeper I linked above - her son had this issue and there was a similar product that helped. Figured, couldn't hurt, let's try it! So far... Working!!! I actually had to wake him up to feed instead of visa versa!

Thank you ladies for all your help and advice! I really appreciate it!

Replies

• piwife
    by piwife
    February 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    Idk I bedshare with my kids the first 2 yrs. My baby( third kid) is breastfeed 9 mts and she nurses to sleep. Umm newborns need to eat a lot. Scheduling their feedings can be harmful
  • dee1603
    by dee1603
    February 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    How old exactly is he?
  • zacmacsmomm
    February 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

It's hard I know, I didn't feed my babies to sleep.  I tried to always put them to bed when they were awake.  Also most all newborns have a "fussy" time.  Granted sometimes it's downright "screaming" time, but this too shall pass, just keep trying to do what you are doing.  Also do you put him down for naps in his crib?

• ekh2010
    by ekh2010
    February 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    Werent you in the ttc group w me? Congrats on having him! Ive heard waking him after feeding settling him then moving him to bed. My son is due in a couple weeks So ill prolly have the same problem we have a bassinet in our room for him hope it works...
  • 3Girlzmom231512
    February 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Hi there! Wow that brings back memories! It sounds as though he has colic. Typical signs are inconsolable crying at night and fine during the day or vice versa. My first child who is now 23 yrs old and in college had colic. Talk to your pediatrician if there are any new treatments for colic. If not, sorry to say that they outgrow it at about 3 months of age.  As for the co-sleeping, my 23 yr old sleep with my husband and myself at times during the difficult times such as colic, sickness. It is better if you do not do it because it is harder to get them into their own bed later however it doesnt hurt them or you if they sleep with you occasionally. Hurts the love life if they sleep with you every night.

With my second and third child- neither had colic. But for the sleeping thing every night I went through the same routine bath, nightime feeding, place them in their crib with a mobile or a musical toy that hangs on the side of the bed. They both would lay there and watch the toys until they went to sleep. Make sure their room is not too hot or too cold or bright.

It seems like the baby years last forever but they really don't. Enjoy them the best you can!!!

• Retrokitty
    February 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    I would try cosleeping the first few months te. Transition him. I'm pro cosleeping though.
  • Mom2Just1
    February 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Co sleep. We co sleep to survive the newborn stage. Everyone sleeps better. Newborns just want to be closer to their mommy because that uis what they have been doing  for 40weeks.

• Randi02
    by Randi02
    February 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I breastfeed and co sleep. It means a lot more sleep for all of us. My youngest is 3 weeks old, and has slept with us from birth - just like my other 3 did.

Your baby just spent 9 months inside of you, being held constantly/warm/listening to your heartbeat, so it's normal for them to be most comfortable when they have those things. It's all they know.

• EsmeVincent
    February 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    Do you swaddle him? I would swaddle him and elevate his mattress
  • AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    February 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I tried to avoid co-sleeping as well with my first and it was more trouble than it was worth.

You have to remember babies are programmed to be WITH their mommies. Just go with it so you don't be a tired mommy. Do what it takes to sleep. 

I have kids that are 6&4, still enjoy sleeping in our bed if they can but are well adjusted and sleep in their own rooms fine. (I prefer to have the bed to myself of course lol)

They will move out someday I swear lol. Just get some sleep!

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts