Advice for Moms

nicolettesmommy
I need advice!
February 19, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Hello i need some advice, Im pregnant with my second child. And I was wondering what i could od to help my first not feel so left out when i have the next baby. My daughter is almost 2 and im due in May. Is there any thing i could do to make it easy for her to understand that there will be a baby coming into the house. Anything will help. Thank you !

Replies

• frndlyfn
    February 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM

How has she been responding so far to the pregnancy?  I would talk about how she will be a big sister and if she is mobile she can help you when new baby comes along like grab a blanket/towel for you while you feed the baby .   

• nicolettesmommy
    February 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM

So far threw the pregnancy she has been great. We tell her all the time mommy is having a baby. And if any one asks her where the baby is she will pull my shirt up and point to my belly and say brother. So far she is doing great im just nervous about when the baby gets her.

• frndlyfn
    February 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM

That will be the interesting part.   She will most likely not  appreciate her routine being interrupted or sleep interrupted by a new baby.   Watch her carefully for the toddler swatting that many children do with babies.  Nothing can prepare anyone for when a new member arrives into the family.   Perhaps have her practice caring for a baby doll and make sure she knows how to hold its hand gently, gently kissin forehead etc before the live baby comes.

• matheson7
    February 19, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I let my kids feel my stomach and watch my ultrasound video. When the baby comes let her hand you wipes, help you feed her. Let her hold the baby with help, just include her in everything. Also when the baby is sleeping have Mommy and me time, cuddling.

• DarlaHood
    February 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Make her a part of it.  Instead of talking about Mommy having another baby, talk to her about her baby sister or brother who's growing in there and can't wait to come out and meet her.  Tell her how you will need her help. And emphasize what she is getting.  Also get her a new baby to have when you have the baby, and let her take care of her baby while you take care of her sibling.  Show her drawings of the size and development of the baby.  Get a countdown calendar that she gets to mark.  Let her help pick things out, and help as much as possible, and give her plenty of love.

• Mama_Gleich
    February 19, 2013 at 3:38 AM

When baby #2 comes have a gift for your dd.... :-) say that the baby brought this for her!!! :-) have dd pick out clothes for the baby!!! Have her pack up the diaper bag! And never underestimate ready books together at night!!!! 

• ScarletRose4488
    February 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM

there is a book.... the sibling baby book or something like that.  Super cute and special for both. 

I looked it up.   :)

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Sibling-Book-Babys-According/dp/0307461971

• Briangel
    February 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    When you set up his room, you can tell your dd that's where brother will sleep, same with carseat, tell her that's where brother will sit when you ride in the car. And after baby comes let her help out. Ask her to bring you a diaper...something small. Then tell her what a great big sister she is and how helpful she is!

Those things worked for me. My ds is 3 and dd is 8 mo. I worried the same thing. And not he loves his baby sister. He likes to get a diaper for me and do the "tapes" on the diaper.
  • Mommy2justone
    February 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I would let her help get things ready. Help her pick out matchin teddy bears, one for her one for baby, and let her see the ultrasounds if possible. 
    Let her give baby a nick name, and call him/her that while in the womb :) Good luck! 

• jessn4
    by jessn4
    February 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

have her help in any possible way. Let her give you baby diapers/ wipes to help change baby, Have her sing to baby while changing too. Anything to make her realize that the baby isnt going to take over her spot in the home. Show her how to love baby small gentle hugs and let her be you with her own dolls. She will want to help so dont get mad at her if she does it wrong, just show her how. But if you put a divide between the two she will not like the baby and eventually dispise. so Just include her with all that you do, and remember to keep one on one time just for you and her as well.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts