Advice for Moms

lyricmother
all he wants to do is eat!!
February 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
OK, so my son is a little under 2 weeks old and all he wants to do is eat. Between breast milk and formula he eats way more than the Dr has recommended. But what am I suppose to do? He cries every hour to an hour and a half wanting to eat and he acts like he's really hungry. How ami suppose to deny him food because its too soon? Also, when he eats he can eat more in a sitting than the Dr has recommended also. I don't want my baby to start out with a weight problem. I feel like I'm feeding him all day and night and he's never satisfied. I've heard giving him rice cereal in his bottle but isn't he too young for that? I just don't know what to do is I'm over feeding this baby.

Replies

• rockinmomto2
    February 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM

First of all, you're not overfeeding. IMO, stop formula all together and just give breastmilk. Every hour or hour and a half is totally normal for a newborn. He's trying to not only regulate your breastmilk (the more he eats, the more you produce), but he's trying to regulate himself as well. He's only been alive for two WEEKS. Throw the clocks away and feed on demand. It's also impossible to overfeed a baby. He will eat when he's hungry and not eat when he's not hungry.

• allycally
    February 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    I would breastfeed on demand and watch his diapers as long as he has the right number ..I wouldn't worry.....Also the switching between formula and BF might be making his stomach hurt which then makes him act hungry
  • lyricmother
    February 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    I don't produce enough milk, that's why I'm supplementing in the first place. And at this rate I'd never be able to keep up with him anyway
  • momamanda
    February 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I've always had the same problem with My milk. how much does you son weigh? I have bigger babies. My first dd was 8lbs 2oz and just absolutely refused to nurse! My ds weighed 9lbs 8oz 2 weeks early and was 10lbs at 5 days old! I nursed and bottle fed him because I couldn't keep up. He would nurse for 45 minutes and still not be satisfied and I would have nothing left for him! so after nursing for 45 minutes he would drink a 2 oz bottle. so I did both for about 5 months. with my youngest dd she only breastfed but she would nurse for an hour and half every couple hours so she was ALWAYS nursing! I would pump for 30 minutes and only get like 2 oz.(with a hospital grade pump) So i understand your stress on that issue.  I would feed on demand at this point. He's to little to try and restrict. If he was eating to much he would spit it all back up.

• rockinmomto2
    February 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM

How do you know you're not producing enough?

Quoting lyricmother:

I don't produce enough milk, that's why I'm supplementing in the first place. And at this rate I'd never be able to keep up with him anyway

• Mommy2justone
    February 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Sounds like he has a sucking reflex and isn't actually hungry. Does he have a pacifier? 

I actually did the same thing (Sooth with food whenever DD cried) but quickly learned the she just wanted to suck. 
    I would nurse on demand as much as you can. But only give formula when absolutly necessary.  

• lyricmother
    February 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    Thanks. You understand the breast feeding and they're still hungry afterwards. I give him 2 oz and sometimes he could go for 3. He's almost 9 lbs but he was 7 lbs 12oz when born. At first he lost weight like all newborns but he's recently gained over a lb
  • KLove_Mom
    February 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

It's probably a growth spurt. 

But the best thing to do for your own sanity, and for his growing appetite is to make him wait at least 2 hours if not 3 to eat. 

If he's eating every hour, he'll only be eating 1oz (for example), which is more a snack than a meal. Then of course he's hungry again in another hour.

If you make him wait, using a pacifier, or take him outside for a walk... then make sure you have more than enough ready to offer him when he eats. Then if he eats more than usual, he should be ready to wait.

So yes, you're in for one rough day... but definitely by the 3rd day he should be on a better schedule.

• terpmama
    February 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Babies have growth spurts at 3, 6, 9 weeks and 3, 6, 9 moths... The weeks before these spurts a nursing baby will nurse more often to up moms supply in response to the spurt (think of older kids who suddenly start eating like fiends... Then shoot up). 

I would just nurse on demand (yes even if it means every hour) it will pass and the baby is doing it to increase your supply.  

• terpmama
    February 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

How do you know you don't make enough? Pumping is not a reliable measurement. Have you done a weigh feed weigh with a lactation consultant? Or a scale that measures to the gram? 

Quoting lyricmother:

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts