Featured Posts
nikki554
My daughter has asked if she can get her hair highlighted.
February 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM

What age do you think is appropraite for this. She is a real girly girl. She recently started wearing a training bra, she has asked to get her eyebrows waxed, she wants her hair highlighted, and she wants to go get her nails done. What age do you think this is appropriate? She is 6, she will be 7 the first week of May. 

Replies

• nikki554
    February 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I don't feel like it is something she feels that she needs. Every now and again she will ask. She does not beg to get these things done. I think that she just sees so many adults in her life doing it that she thinks it is cool. My sisters are always dying their hair, I do not do mine personally. And her teachers at school as well. So I think she is just wanting to be like other people. 

Quoting JTE11:

I don't think I would do it. If she's asking for all of this extra stuff I'd want to know why she thinks she needs it, first of all. If she has overgrown eyebrows I'd say pluck them for her but all of that stuff costs money and unless she has some real cosmetic issues (not to be rude, but hair in inappropriate places on her face, severely overgrown eyebrows or something) I wouldn't do any of that. I'm probably a lot old fashoined in my thinking that someone that age doesn't need all of that stuff. When she gets old enough that she can be working a job so that if she wants to get these extras she can buy them for herself.

• Stamatina79
    February 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    Your 6 yr old wears a training bra?
  • AnonyMOUSE715
    February 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    Huh hard question. Sounds like she wants a lot and you don't want her to feel like she needs this to be pretty. When I read the post I assumed she was 11 to 13. Id let her do her nails at home, for a few more years. Maybe pluck her eyebrows slightly for her if they are thick, and if you get her highlights make it very subtle and maybe find a friend of yours to do it for her. Id explain (if you want to let her) that she will just be getting highlights and the other beauty treatments stay AT HOME until she is a bit older. Maybe tell her you will take her to get nails done next bday, eyebrows professionally done the bday after that. All that at once is a lot for just a baby..
  • JTE11
    by JTE11
    February 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

That actually makes me feel a little better- I was wondering if she had classmates who had gotten highlights already and that's what made her to ask. I've been out of the schools for so long I'm a little out of touch with what kids are up to these days! Sometimes it can be hard to say no when "everyone else is doing it" but if it's from adults, this is good! :)

Quoting nikki554:

I don't feel like it is something she feels that she needs. Every now and again she will ask. She does not beg to get these things done. I think that she just sees so many adults in her life doing it that she thinks it is cool. My sisters are always dying their hair, I do not do mine personally. And her teachers at school as well. So I think she is just wanting to be like other people. 

Quoting JTE11:

I don't think I would do it. If she's asking for all of this extra stuff I'd want to know why she thinks she needs it, first of all. If she has overgrown eyebrows I'd say pluck them for her but all of that stuff costs money and unless she has some real cosmetic issues (not to be rude, but hair in inappropriate places on her face, severely overgrown eyebrows or something) I wouldn't do any of that. I'm probably a lot old fashoined in my thinking that someone that age doesn't need all of that stuff. When she gets old enough that she can be working a job so that if she wants to get these extras she can buy them for herself.

• GrammaJane46
    February 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Are you kidding!!  She's a baby.  Training bra?  Really!!  Let her be a child a while.

Let her have a manicure, maybe some sprayed on hair color, but she's way too young to start the American sex parade.

• lazyd
    by lazyd
    February 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Forget about the waxing eyebrows!  WHY would a 7yo think she needs that done!?  Getting her nails done is okay.  Getting highlights is okay too, but you want to make sure the highlights are "natural".  A lot of schools ban certain colors in a child's hair for a lot of reasons, so if your daughter goes to school, double check the handbook.  A lot of kids are getting suspended lately for the way their hair looks, which i think is crazy.  

• godsbutterflys
    February 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

You know they used to have fake polish for little girls, and in case no one has said anything to you about hair coloring it can seep into the skin of young children. I also have a girl and have to had to go around and around with this. As for me I told her she could not color her hair until she was 18, and I stuck to it. The reason being is with all the chemicals that they put in stuff I was more worried about her health than anything else. I did start letting her get her nails done when she turned 16 and she had to wait to wait for make up also. To me it all about how you talk to them. If you talk to them and let them take part in the conversation they are usually easier to get along with. Yes I know, most of the time, some times you just have to put your foot down and tell them it's bad for them and they shouldn't follow what everyone else is doing.      good luck

• LADYxGHOST
    February 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM

My dd got her hair 9brown) with red highlights weh she was 6 or 7.  She has been getting her nails done in a salon since she was 3, stopped when she finally could do them herself.  I would check with the school and find out the rules on this.  I know at her school there where certain nail colors that couldn't be worn and of course no fake nails in elementary. 

We got the brush in temp, but it stayed for a real long time, she loved it. She is a teen now and has her bangs with red highlights. It suits her. She just knew easrly one what she liked.

• kimber2465
    February 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

my granddaughter is 10. we did a temp color. she goes every so often with her mom- they do mani/pedi day. she hasn't done her eyebrows. however they look pretty good now.

• kimber2465
    February 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM

i have seen several girls at my granddaughter's school that are wearing little bras, and sports bras. they are some that need to.

Quoting Stamatina79:

Your 6 yr old wears a training bra?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN