Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
BraydensMom20
took birth control late!
February 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

i am exclusively breastfeeding and taking the birth control pill jolivette. im unsure if i started my cycle again or if it was just spotting after having the baby since it happened when he was one month old. I always take the pill on time but i forgot to take it last night and my boyfriend and i were intimate. i took it 12 hrs late, as soon as i remembered.

Should i be worried??.. we did not use a second form of birth control, and i know the birth control while nursing is less effective.

Replies

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    February 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

It is possible that you are pregnant. You may want to call your ob/gyn and ask them. And meanwhile use added protection.

• Mommy2justone
    February 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I would call your doctor and see what they would recommend.  I am unfamiliar with that type of bc.

• winterglow
    February 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

You are taking a minipill and it has to be taken within a 3 houir window of time. You took it 12 hours late (which is OK with the standard pill but not with the minipill). Its effectiveness is therefore reduced (breastfeeding doesn't reduce its effectiveness, taking it late DOES). You should have been using a backup method until you were "covered" again.

Yes, you are at risk of pregnancy. The choices open to you are to take Plan B but in that case you need to stop breastfeeding (your doctor should be able to tell you for how long) or to wait it out and see.

Good luck.

• alexis_06
    February 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM

i would probably check with your dr..better safe than sorry.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts