Advice for Moms

stargazerwolf
Potty training at a year old?
February 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM

So my mom has always told me that I was potty trained before a year old and then when my brothers were born (they were preemie twins) a week before I turned one I went back to wanting to only use diapers. I have tried to figure out over and over again how my mom could have possibly potty trained me so early. I just don't see how it happens...My youngest is 9 months old and I could actually see her walking soon (my sis and my boyfriend both walked at 9 months) but I just don't see her using the potty by a year. I'd love to be able to potty train that soon, but I'm not sure if you'd do it the same as with a toddler? I'm not necessarily going to try this as I think every kid is different, but I'm curious if anyone else has tried this early or known of someone who was potty trained this early.

I assume that if I took her to the potty and set her on it a little bit after every meal and as soon as she gets up and right before bed, maybe she'd get it eventually, like the way she figured out crawling to her highchair and making noise tells me she wants food. But even if she got that she could go potty in the potty chair, like crawling over to it, I don't see a child that young caring too much to go use a potty...or at that age do you just always have to take her and sit her on the potty herself? I don't see her sitting still long enough to do the deed and the fact is, she would constantly try to play with her poo and pee as she was going or right after..Maybe if she gets a banana/rice snack (those mum mum things, last awhile and she loves them) each time she'd do it?

Just curious what other people think about this and if anyone has done it or known of someone who has. Thanks.

Replies

• stargazerwolf
    February 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I also wanted to add, I have a 4 almost 5 year old so I have done potty training before, but because I was getting divorced and moving all around when she was 2 she didn't get potty trained til a few months before turning 3. I potty trained her the way I described above, getting her on a schedule.

• frndlyfn
    February 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Maybe your mom practiced elimination communication but not potty trained in the way we think of it.  EC is when you know your childs cues and help them sit on the toilet.   There are many people who do this and never use a single diaper for their child's life.   I personally think it is way too young to try to potty train since the bladder is not mature enough and the brain isnt mature enough for it.

• JKronrod
    February 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I don't know that it's really possible to "train" a child to use the potty, but I will tell you that with our last one, when he was maybe six months old (?) -- well under a year at any rate, I noticed that he was clearly intending to poop.  So, not wanting to have a messy diaper to change, I peeled of the diaper and held him sitting over the edge of the toilet.  He made grunting noises, so I made grunting noises. He thought this was funny, and into the toilet it went. 

Anyway, the next day, at around the same time, I peeled off the diaper, sat him over the toilet, said "Poop!" and made grunting noises at him.  He made grunting noises, and into the potty it went.  We increased the number of times a day (he was breast-feed so there was a lot of poop)  This went on, to the point that I was changing very few stinky diapers. 

While the timing is a bit foggy, I know for a fact that when he was nine months old when I put him on the potty and told him to "poop" he would make grunting noises and would usually poop, since our au pair arrived almost exactly nine months after he was born and was amazed when I showed him the baby's "trick" -- and I was not taking him (that baby, that is, not the au pair) in at just at one time (or set times) of the day. 

Now, experts will tell you that this is not  truly potty training, and that's fine.  But it certainly was nice not to have to change poopy diapers, and it was pretty clear that the baby understood that he was supposed to try to move certain muscles when he was put on the toilet and told to "poop." 

• stargazerwolf
    February 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I guess I should ask exactly what she did. But she made it sound like I was going into the bathroom and going potty by myself. I agree it is very young and not much can be expected of a one year old or younger baby to hold their bladder and always make it to the toilet. I honestly can't see how it is possible to say a child that young is fully trained, especially in public I'd feel the need to still use diapers..

Quoting frndlyfn:

Maybe your mom practiced elimination communication but not potty trained in the way we think of it.  EC is when you know your childs cues and help them sit on the toilet.   There are many people who do this and never use a single diaper for their child's life.   I personally think it is way too young to try to potty train since the bladder is not mature enough and the brain isnt mature enough for it.

• stargazerwolf
    February 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking of trying too. Just holding her on the potty when I notice she's getting ready to poo. That would save some diapers for sure lol. That must have been nice for you! That would definatly be good enough for me :)

Quoting JKronrod:

I don't know that it's really possible to "train" a child to use the potty, but I will tell you that with our last one, when he was maybe six months old (?) -- well under a year at any rate, I noticed that he was clearly intending to poop.  So, not wanting to have a messy diaper to change, I peeled of the diaper and held him sitting over the edge of the toilet.  He made grunting noises, so I made grunting noises. He thought this was funny, and into the toilet it went. 

Anyway, the next day, at around the same time, I peeled off the diaper, sat him over the toilet, said "Poop!" and made grunting noises at him.  He made grunting noises, and into the potty it went.  We increased the number of times a day (he was breast-feed so there was a lot of poop)  This went on, to the point that I was changing very few stinky diapers. 

While the timing is a bit foggy, I know for a fact that when he was nine months old when I put him on the potty and told him to "poop" he would make grunting noises and would usually poop, since our au pair arrived almost exactly nine months after he was born and was amazed when I showed him the baby's "trick" -- and I was not taking him (that baby, that is, not the au pair) in at just at one time (or set times) of the day. 

Now, experts will tell you that this is not  truly potty training, and that's fine.  But it certainly was nice not to have to change poopy diapers, and it was pretty clear that the baby understood that he was supposed to try to move certain muscles when he was put on the toilet and told to "poop." 

• bpryce
    by bpryce
    February 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM

i began "potty training" my ds at 8months. he was fully potty trained by 18months old. its basically like what you said, repetition, keep taking them to the potty everytime you think they might go and after every accident. he always wore underwear. he was aware of pees and poops with in a few days and began holding his pee in about a week. we always praised him when he sat on his potty (whether he used it or not) and we made sure to never get mad, upset, or freak out over accidents. We would just calmly explain what he did and what he was supposed to do and then sit him on the potty and cheer. 

He may have been fully "trained" earlier but his little sister was born when he was 17months and we had family visiting from out of town so it was more convienent to keep him in diapers during that time. but as soon as our guests left, we took off the diaper and he started using the potty all on his own (without being asked) in a couple days. I plan on doing the same thing when my dd turns 8months 

• Mrsfarr
    by Mrsfarr
    February 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    Maybe EC...?
  • stargazerwolf
    February 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Thanks! That gives me some encouragement. I'd really like to have her potty trained before her older sister starts kindergarten (so she'd be about 15 months by then, almost 16 months) but I've not been sure how resonable that is. I think I will start off putting her on the potty chair at the times I was talking about and see how it goes from there. I still have her older sister's potty chair so don't have to worry about buying one or her being too little for the big potty. I won't expect that she will for sure get it, but I can see how she does. She crawls in when I go potty and I do already notice her cues of when she poos so that'll help. I'm staying home right now so I have the time and I'm still deciding if I'm going back to work when her sister starts kindergarten or if I'm staying home and actually homeschooling. Either way it'd be easier if she was already potty trained by that time. I know it'll only happen if she is ready, so I won't be pushy or get upset, but I might as well try right?

Quoting bpryce:

i began "potty training" my ds at 8months. he was fully potty trained by 18months old. its basically like what you said, repetition, keep taking them to the potty everytime you think they might go and after every accident. he always wore underwear. he was aware of pees and poops with in a few days and began holding his pee in about a week. we always praised him when he sat on his potty (whether he used it or not) and we made sure to never get mad, upset, or freak out over accidents. We would just calmly explain what he did and what he was supposed to do and then sit him on the potty and cheer. 

He may have been fully "trained" earlier but his little sister was born when he was 17months and we had family visiting from out of town so it was more convienent to keep him in diapers during that time. but as soon as our guests left, we took off the diaper and he started using the potty all on his own (without being asked) in a couple days. I plan on doing the same thing when my dd turns 8months 

• JKronrod
    February 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM

You do need to make sure that the baby is happy with it.  Thomas thought it was all a great joke -- he would grunt and laugh.  If the baby isn't happy, though, I'd wait for the "regular" time to train.  Good luck!

P.S. -- I should add that we used exclusively cloth diapers.  That may make a difference.

Quoting stargazerwolf:

That's kind of what I was thinking of trying too. Just holding her on the potty when I notice she's getting ready to poo. That would save some diapers for sure lol. That must have been nice for you! That would definatly be good enough for me :)

Quoting JKronrod:

• mamalusbear
    February 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM

My little guy is 14 months old and I put his little potty out in the open for him to explore.  It took a few months, but he's finally curious and is sitting on it.  Also, when we use the restroom we explain to him what we're doing, and we let him flush the toilet.  Just taking it slow at his own pace.  He comes around a little at a time, we never force him to do anything he doesn't want to....we want potty training to be a positive experience.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts