Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
SciFiMama91
Glasses?
February 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My son (almost 5) went to the optometrist yesterday and his glasses should be in next week. I don't know much about caring for glasses. So, if your children have glasses what are the rules for taking care of their glasses?

Oh and because I think he's ridiculously adorable...

Replies

• The_Doodle
    February 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Eh, at the most I'd say get a hard case to put them in at night since he's so young. They'll give you these soft clothes to clean them but I always just use my shirt...most places now can put a protective coat on the lenses to minimize scratches so they don't get scratched easily.

• frndlyfn
    February 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Yes definitely get a hard case for storage.  Also get a cloth for cleaning them rather than scratchy tissues.   Teach him how to use the sides to put them on and take them off rather than grabbing the front.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    February 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    Nothing really. Clean the lenses every day. Nothing else. Worn themm since I was 8. Take them off when he sleeps.
  • gcstar42
    February 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM

My 6 yr old son has been wearing glasses for about 3 yrs now. We do not really have any specific rules, except that when he takes them off for some reason he has a certain spot to put his glasses so they do not get lost or broken. Other than that I just remind him to be careful with them.

• supermomz25
    February 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM

my 11 year old daughter has two pair of glasses and she has a case for each and she cleans them regularly with the cloth. I told I expect her to be extremely careful and so far so good. she got her first pair when she was 9 (those are for reading) and she got her second pair just before her 11th birthday (those are for distance).

here is my daughter:

• alexis_06
    February 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM

omg, adorable!

my daughter doesnt have glasses...wellllll she has fake ones..(from claires)

but she treats them as if they were real...when not in use they need to be in a hard case..never left on the couch, or floor etc.  and out of reach from the animals :)

• SciFiMama91
    February 10, 2013 at 12:58 AM
    Thanks ladies. I'll let him pick out a case and some things to decorate it with when we pick his glasses up.
  • SciFiMama91
    February 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM
    Awe, that's cute! I wanted glasses when I was little...I actually need them now. :p

Quoting alexis_06:

omg, adorable!

but she treats them as if they were real...when not in use they need to be in a hard case..never left on the couch, or floor etc.  and out of reach from the animals :)

• alexis_06
    February 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM

ya, i think its cuz last year (in grade 2) she had a crush on a grade 3er who had glasses..lol..

i never wanted them growing up, because i always thought i looked horrific with them on!!  i still dont like the way sunglasses make me look..lol

Quoting SciFiMama91:

Awe, that's cute! I wanted glasses when I was little...I actually need them now. :p

Quoting alexis_06:

omg, adorable!

• tricia1332
    February 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM

My son has had glasses for 3 years now.

first thing if you didn't buy the protection insurance you might want to see if you can add it now.  But if you got the 2 pair deal it might be ok.

my son is now 11 and usually goes through 2 pair last year though he went through 4! Sports and stuff

start teaching him where to put his glasses up. Glass side up so they don't scratch or put them in the case.

if he needs them cleaned you might want to be the one to do that though he is still kind of young and can bend them or break them.

oh did you get the kind that are bendable and kid proof?

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts