Featured Posts
NoahsMommy10412
Starting Solids... ETA
February 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM

So my sons doctor said we can start him on solids... fruits, meats, vegetables, and oatmeal. Well I tried giving him some oatmeal rice cereal. Not quite sure how to feed it to him. I gave up after about 5 minutes. It seems like he just pushes the spoon back out of his mouth with his tongue. Not sure how to do this right.

Edit: So he's tongue pushing has stopped for the most part and I hadn't given him bananas the whole weekends and his poop returned to normal. I'm pretty sure the black poop and smell was the bananas. I'm thinking of giving him some carrots or sweet potatoes next.

Replies

• yperez0209
    February 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Sound like you are doing it right. In the beginning thats what happens. When I start solids ( I have five children ) it's only a few spoonfulls, if that. He's trying to figure this thing out just like you are. Little by little he will learn how to eat from a spoon. Offer him the same foods for a few days to make sure he doesn't have any food allergies and don't mix any fruits or veggies yet. One food at a time.

How old is he? Has he been showing interest in eating foods when he sees one of you eating?

• Jag5782
    by Jag5782
    February 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Its going to take some time.  Remember, he is just learning how to do this and he is going to have to practice.  It's going to feel like you are scooping up and spooning the same bite of food into his mouth over and over.  It will probably take 10 or 12 tries before he gets it down (Imean meals/days, not bites.

Start out by making the cereal really watery, maybe one teaspoonful of cereal to 5 or 6 of formula/breastmilk.  Slowly increase the consistency as he seems to get used to it.

Also, when you start adding fruits and veggies, Start with the green veggies, then the orange/yellow, then move onto the fruit.  You want to do it in this order because the green veggies are less sweet.  If you strat with the sweet, yummy stuff babies are less likely to take to the green veggies.

Also, make sure you are spacing out everything new by 5 or 6 days so if your lo has a reaction you will know what caused it. 

Good Luck! and just let me know if you have more questions or if I wasn't clear, I would be happy to help.

• NoahsMommy10412
    February 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

He's on;y 4 months old. He shows some interest when he sees me eating. He does eat 8 ounces from the bottle each feeding.

Quoting yperez0209:

Sound like you are doing it right. In the beginning thats what happens. When I start solids ( I have five children ) it's only a few spoonfulls, if that. He's trying to figure this thing out just like you are. Little by little he will learn how to eat from a spoon. Offer him the same foods for a few days to make sure he doesn't have any food allergies and don't mix any fruits or veggies yet. One food at a time.

How old is he? Has he been showing interest in eating foods when he sees one of you eating?

• NoahsMommy10412
    February 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

His doctor said one new food every 2 days. I've heard waiting a week. I'm not sure hpw long to wait. The dad and I aren't allergic to any foods.

Quoting Jag5782:

Its going to take some time.  Remember, he is just learning how to do this and he is going to have to practice.  It's going to feel like you are scooping up and spooning the same bite of food into his mouth over and over.  It will probably take 10 or 12 tries before he gets it down (Imean meals/days, not bites.

Start out by making the cereal really watery, maybe one teaspoonful of cereal to 5 or 6 of formula/breastmilk.  Slowly increase the consistency as he seems to get used to it.

Also, when you start adding fruits and veggies, Start with the green veggies, then the orange/yellow, then move onto the fruit.  You want to do it in this order because the green veggies are less sweet.  If you strat with the sweet, yummy stuff babies are less likely to take to the green veggies.

Also, make sure you are spacing out everything new by 5 or 6 days so if your lo has a reaction you will know what caused it. 

Good Luck! and just let me know if you have more questions or if I wasn't clear, I would be happy to help.

• Jag5782
    by Jag5782
    February 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Well, it's good for your little guy that you and dh aren't allergic to anything, it does make it less likely that your lo will have a problem BUT I would still wait atleast 5 days between trying each new food, I figure it's better safe than sorry.  My pedi told us we could start the rice cereal at 4 months but to wait on everything else untill 6. 

• sabrtooth1
    February 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    4 months old is way too young for solids. He does not have tongue control, and can choke. Plus he will become obese. He should be taking at least 24 ounces of formula a day.
  • yperez0209
    February 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Being that he's only four months there really isn't any rush. If you see that he is really not into it you can start him in a month or two. By six months I usually start my kids. Like the other mother said give him the cereal really milky don't over do the cereal. He needs to get use to the new texture.

Another piece of advise I can give you ( I personally do this ) give him home made baby food when possible. Those jarred foods are hanging out in the jar for years sometimes. It's not that difficult to make it at home and you know what's going inside his body. If you want tips on how to do it and store it let me know I'll be happy to help.

Quoting NoahsMommy10412:

He's on;y 4 months old. He shows some interest when he sees me eating. He does eat 8 ounces from the bottle each feeding.

Quoting yperez0209:

• Alejandra10
    February 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    That's normal when you are just starting I started my first on solids at 4 months and he did that. I startred my second at close to 6 months and same thing. They are used to sucking on the bottle so its a different thing they need to learn. Don't give up soon they willget used to it
  • emilyelephant
    February 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

My daughter hated oatmeal.  We gave her sweet potatoes first, she loved them

• NoahsMommy10412
    February 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

He takes in between 24 and 32 ounces each day. I said each feeding he takes 8 ounces and eats every 5 to 6 hours.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

4 months old is way too young for solids. He does not have tongue control, and can choke. Plus he will become obese. He should be taking at least 24 ounces of formula a day.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN