Advice for Moms

AlexisBryan22
I think it's time to get off the pacifier
February 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM

!5 month old son that can't be with out his pacifier, or his bottle. I've tried qivinq hima sippy cup but when he drinks out of it he lets the milk come down his chin!! He has a dentist appointment the 15th and last time his dentist said he wanted him off his bottles and paci on his next appt. Aqhh help plz!! nd i think hes qetting an over bite and hes not anywhere near to qiving them up:(

Replies

• trulyblessed618
    February 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    I have had problems with getting the pacifier away from my boys and they are much older and there teeth are fine but just try and do it gradually and give him the pacifier at specific times .... I feel some children have a need to suck more than others and not every child has the same cut off time... Just my opinion from my experience.
  • AlexisBryan22
    February 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM

thank you hunn:)

• alexis_06
    February 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM

if you dont want him having one...dont give him one...simple as that.  yes he will be cranky...but he will get over it. YOU just need to stick to it, and not give in!

• Retrokitty
    February 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM
    Have you tried the paci fairy?
  • Retrokitty
    February 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    "The Pacifier Fairy - How Does It Work?

The basic gist is that you tell your 2 year old about The Pacifier Fairy who comes at night to collect the big kid's pacifiers so she can give them to all the new babies in the world, and then leaves a present for the big kid.

Like this so far? Then follow these step by step instructions for how to do it:

One or two times, casually mention the story of the Paci Fairy to your child. Explain about the fairy, but don't make it personal to your child or your child's paci. Just talk about the existence of the fairy, so that when the time comes for the fairy to visit he or she will be familiar with the idea.

Do this betweeen 1 and 4 weeks before you actually take the pacifier away.

You start the process 3 nights before you actually take the paci away, and you tell your toddler on each of these 3 nights what is going to happen.

For example, on Sunday night you will explain that the Pacifier Fairy is coming in 3 days, on Wednesday night. Explain that they get to sleep with their paci tonight, tomorrow night and the next night, but on Wednesday night (or whatever day) the Pacifer Fairy is coming. Repeat how he or she will leave all his/her pacifiers for the fairy and the fairy will leave a toy.

Do the same thing for the second and third nights. For example, you will explain on Monday night how your toddler will get to sleep with his paci tonight and tomorrow night, but on Wednesday night the pacifer fairy is coming.

You get the idea.

On the third night, walk around the house with your child before bed collecting all the pacifiers together. Place them in a bag. Put the bag outside the front door. Follow your normal bedtime routine, give extra love and snuggles. Talk about how the Pacifier Fairy is coming tonight and will be leaving a toy.

In the morning, give your toddler lots of love and walk to the front door together. Open the door and discover the toy that the pacifer fairy left.

(Note: don't forget to replace the pacifiers with a toy before your toddler wakes up! The pacifer fairy is actually not a real fairy. Also, make sure you don't put the old pacifiers somewhere where your toddler will find them!)

Congratulations! I hope you find that it was actually easier then you expected it to be.

One final piece of advice is that it is really important for you to exhibit CONFIDENCE that your toddler will be okay without his/her pacifier. If you don't believe it yourself he/she will pick up on your anxiety and it will make it much harder for both of you."
  • AlexisBryan22
    February 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM

uhmm no what is that? never heard of it!!

• Retrokitty
    February 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    I added what it is. It apparently works for a lot of people.

Quoting AlexisBryan22:

uhmm no what is that? never heard of it!!

• AlexisBryan22
    February 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I don't think it would work he's only 15 months!! BUMMER!!

• The_Doodle
    February 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I'd just stop giving them to him cold turkey. It's rough but in my experience it was easier than slowly weaning. And he is probably dribbling with the sippy because he's so used to the bottle. 

• tnt1014
    by tnt1014
    February 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM

The only cup that worked for our girls was this one by NUK. It has a soft spout. They only liked the latex spout though not the silicone.

We took them away one at a time. First we took away the pacifier since they still had the bottle to rely on it wasn't as difficult, then we took away the bottle and were left with the soft spout cup which eventually transitioned to a hard spout cup and then a regular cup.

We started early though. The younger they are the easier it is in my opinion. He's still young so now is the time to do it.

Good luck!!

Advice for Moms