Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
AlexisBryan22
I think it's time to get off the pacifier
February 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM

!5 month old son that can't be with out his pacifier, or his bottle. I've tried qivinq hima sippy cup but when he drinks out of it he lets the milk come down his chin!! He has a dentist appointment the 15th and last time his dentist said he wanted him off his bottles and paci on his next appt. Aqhh help plz!! nd i think hes qetting an over bite and hes not anywhere near to qiving them up:(

Replies

• Mel0dy
    by Mel0dy
    February 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting aarensmommy:

with my boys i took paci away around 2-2.5yrs..ds2 was very hard to break. i dont have much on the bottle both my boys were easy. dd who will be one on the 16th still has bottle n paci--im gunna try to get the bottle away next week or wean her off it really but she loves it to the point i give her a sippy she cries till i give her a bottle....

My DD didnt want anything to do with sippycups eather. I ended up getting her a few of the sippy cups with the soft mouth spout and after she was good with that I started giving her the normal sippy cups durning the day (soft ones only at night) then once she got the hang of the hard ones we got right of the soft ones all together. It only took about a month and it was not a huge fight or anything. 

• ScarletRose4488
    February 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Wow.  My suggestion is to throw them away and let him learn to advance with the sippy cup.  You need to let him grow and develop.  If you give into everything he wants even when it is bad for him what do you think he will be like at 2? or 5?  or 15?  You know what you need to do, you just need to do it.  Throw them away and then you can't cave. 

• jabs54
    by jabs54
    February 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I think he is really young to be taking it away.  I let my dd have her paci until she was 3.  She willingly gave it up.  She has beautiful teeth now, no braces.  JMO

• yperez0209
    February 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I have five children. Two of them used pacifiers, two of them sucked on there fingers and they all used a bottle at some point. Here is how I stopped the bottle and paci habit......   I threw them away, yes, all of them cold turkey around age one. There is no magic formula or technique, get rid of them. Your son may not sleep for a night or two and cry and beg you for it but his teeth will thank you later. About the milk dripping buy a sippy cup with a straw.

• LTS2010
    by LTS2010
    February 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM

What we did for my daughter (who was attached to her pacifier, but only for sleep) was my husband took one of them and cut it so if she went to suck on it she couldn't.  He told her "it's broken, daddy has to go buy you a new one" and that did the trick. For about 3 days she asked for "her new paci" but we kept up with the "daddy has to go buy one" and "you're a big girl any way you don't need it" and it really worked!  She was about 18mts. But every kid is different so don't stress about it and don't let the dentist push you about it.  My question is why are you brining him in for a dentist appt at 15mts?  I ask because my Pedi said when she turns 2 to go, but it wasn't urgent.  

As for a bottle vs. the sippy cup, just try to keep the bottle for his last feeding and gradually let that go.  Until he gets used to the sippy and try different sippy cups also (with handles, without handles, cartoons on them, etc.)  Kids are funny and picky even at that age, lol.  Good luck!  It'll all work out, trust me ;-)

• Basherte
    February 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM

BUMP!!!

I can't help on this one. None of my children would accept a paci after they came home from the hospital. My preemie needed one while in the hospital, as they used it to teach my son how to suck to get food, as they had him on a feeding tube. When he came home he refused to accept them. I would put one in his mouth and he would spit it out. 

The other two that I had didn't want them either. 

• Jeanette572
    February 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I'm definitely gonna try this!  My 2 1/2 yr old son still uses his binky - I take it away if he has it during the day - and only give it to him at night, however he's still very hooked on it.  We lost his binky over the summer and I said a birdy came for it - the third nite without it he was flipping out, so we gave in and gave it back to him ( we did lose it but found it after we told him it was taken)  He has a 3 month old sister who we said he'd have to give his binky to when she was born but that didn't work.

I figured he'd need the binky for security when my daughter was born - now that she's 3 months, and he's 2 1/2 I think it's definitely time to take it away.  Thanks for the idea or the Fairy! =)

Quoting Retrokitty:

"The Pacifier Fairy - How Does It Work?

The basic gist is that you tell your 2 year old about The Pacifier Fairy who comes at night to collect the big kid's pacifiers so she can give them to all the new babies in the world, and then leaves a present for the big kid.

Like this so far? Then follow these step by step instructions for how to do it:

One or two times, casually mention the story of the Paci Fairy to your child. Explain about the fairy, but don't make it personal to your child or your child's paci. Just talk about the existence of the fairy, so that when the time comes for the fairy to visit he or she will be familiar with the idea.

Do this betweeen 1 and 4 weeks before you actually take the pacifier away.

You start the process 3 nights before you actually take the paci away, and you tell your toddler on each of these 3 nights what is going to happen.

For example, on Sunday night you will explain that the Pacifier Fairy is coming in 3 days, on Wednesday night. Explain that they get to sleep with their paci tonight, tomorrow night and the next night, but on Wednesday night (or whatever day) the Pacifer Fairy is coming. Repeat how he or she will leave all his/her pacifiers for the fairy and the fairy will leave a toy.

Do the same thing for the second and third nights. For example, you will explain on Monday night how your toddler will get to sleep with his paci tonight and tomorrow night, but on Wednesday night the pacifer fairy is coming.

You get the idea.

On the third night, walk around the house with your child before bed collecting all the pacifiers together. Place them in a bag. Put the bag outside the front door. Follow your normal bedtime routine, give extra love and snuggles. Talk about how the Pacifier Fairy is coming tonight and will be leaving a toy.

In the morning, give your toddler lots of love and walk to the front door together. Open the door and discover the toy that the pacifer fairy left.

(Note: don't forget to replace the pacifiers with a toy before your toddler wakes up! The pacifer fairy is actually not a real fairy. Also, make sure you don't put the old pacifiers somewhere where your toddler will find them!)

Congratulations! I hope you find that it was actually easier then you expected it to be.

One final piece of advice is that it is really important for you to exhibit CONFIDENCE that your toddler will be okay without his/her pacifier. If you don't believe it yourself he/she will pick up on your anxiety and it will make it much harder for both of you."

• bpryce
    by bpryce
    February 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    If you dont want him to have it then throw them out and stop giving it to him. He will likely be upset and cranky for a few days but he will get over it. Also, he will learn how to use a sippy cup properly if its his only option, just have faith in him and remember everything takes practice. My 20month old has been drinking out of a regular cup for 3months now, yes it was messy the first few days but he figured it out.
  • Kinder2684
    February 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    I took my daughters pacifier away at 7 months and one week old. Just because I didn't want to deal with her later, and I figured a 7 months old habit can be forgotten so much faster than a 2 or 3 year old habit. No? Well, I was right after all. After 2 weeks of complaining about it and crying for it, she finally stopped and didn't ask for it when she went to bed. Btw she only used it when she was napping or sleeping at night time. Not at all during the day time while playing or being out with me. Also, I'm bf her and she did drink breast milk out of bottles for the first 3 months of her life, but after that I got tired of pumping and said no more. She didn't even notice the absence of the bottle. As long as she nursed she was ok. So bottles are not an issue for us now. I gave her the sippy cup with a hard spout and she's bitting it instead of drinking out of it lol so I'm gonna have to get one with a soft spout. We'll see if she likes that better. My suggestion is to take them cold turkey but you must be prepared for some days and nights of crying. otherwise do it step by step and do not let the doc influence you. you will not screw his teeth up if he is using them for a few more weeks, as long as its an orthodontic paci. Good luck to you !

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts