Featured Posts
melissaaytes
Who has thrown a baby shower?
February 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I am throwing a baby shower for a friend of mine and have never done one before.  I need some advice from some who have experience with these things!  How long before the due date do you have it?  How soon do you send invites?  Stuff to do, food, and how much say does the momma have in planning?  Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• mommyneedssleep
    February 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    I did one for my daughters cheer coach!!! We did 2 months before the due date and I sent out invites 3 weeks before the shower. We did mini sausages, chips dips, veggies and fruits, also had mini burgers etc!!!
    I set up games to play like dressing a baby blindfolded, finding safety pins in rice etc!!! Had prizes for each game!!! If its not a suprise , let the mom to be, be involved as much as possible. It's gets her pretty excited to be a part of it all!!
  • Mommy2justone
    February 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I did. 
    I got the invite list from my sister about 4 months before her due date, had them out about 3 weeks before the shower.
    I made sure to put RSVP event only on the invites, I hate when people don't RSVP. And I had an exact head count about a week before the shower. 

I got all of my tableware from dollar tree, and spent about $15 for all of that.
    I went to hobby lobby and got decorations from their clearance section.
    I had 3 games and 6 prizes.
    I didn't ask my sister anything she wanted, LOL. But I know her pretty well.
    We did a little "Family tree" sign in, with a tree on a canvas and ink pads for thumb prints to make the leaves. Then they signed their name and best wishes on it.
    In the roots where the last name.  And I put 5 little birds on the tree, my sister, her husband, her 15 year old, her 12 year old, her 5 year old, and the twins she was carrying. 

• RLT2
    by RLT2
    February 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Make sure you send out the invites at least 3 weeks in advance. Check with different people in her life to cover the guest list. Her side of the family, his, office co workers etc. I would have the shower at the latest, a month before the due date. 2 months is better.

• Tree-Tree
    February 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I threw one for my sister a month and a half before baby came. invites 2 weeks in advance finger foods and she only gave me names of people to invite and addresses. We played games and gave out prizes for winners. we played baby bingo, draw that baby, word search and taste and guess the baby food. it was tons of fun. for favors i made pacifiers out of white life savers and pink and blue jelly beans

• nuts4scouts
    February 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Most of the showers that I have planned/attended have been surprises, so there was no input from the mom-to-be. Usually there were also separate showers for separate groups. I had a shower at work for/by my co-workers. A family shower by my MIL. A friends shower by my best friend. This made it way easier for the person putting it together to get the names/addresses needed.

Plan the party far enough in advance so that you have maximum chance that the mom will be at the party, and not in the delivery room! 2-3 months before due date should be good.

What you do/serve at the shower depends on when/where it will be, and how much money you have to spend.

You can do an evening buffet type of dinner shower, backyard BBQ/picnic type, an afternoon snack kind of thing, or anything else you want. Heck, you can even have an ice cream social, or an all dessert party!

Have FUN! This is a celebration!

• mom2the.rescue
    February 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I've thrown 2.  We did the invites about 2 months before the party.  One party was for my best friend & she wanted to be a big part of helping plan it.  The other was for my neice and she wasn't interested in doing any of the planning but still had a great time.  They were 2 totally different parties and both a lot of fun.

• EsmeVincent
    February 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    You will want to do it around 7 months and send the invites about a month ahead of time...simple is always good...you don't have to do a theme unless the baby mama wants one. You don't have to do games either if baby mama doesn't want them but if she does then
    http://www.parents.com/baby/shower/games/fun-baby-shower-games/
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts