Advice for Moms

trinitysmama33
meats or no?
February 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM

So I was a lacto-ovo-vegetarian before I was pregnant with DD, but with how badly animic I was, my doctor told me to start eating at least chicken/turkey.  But after I had my DD, I went back to being vegetarian.  My DD had now 11 months old, and I don't know if it would be a good idea or not to not give her meats.  She has had some meat already, and Dh thinks we should keep giving it to her until she is older and let her pick if she wants to be like Mommy or Daddy (he eats meat).  I kind of agree, but I don't want to give her red meats.  Is that a bad idea?  Should I just give her meat or none at all?  

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    February 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I raised mine eating both daddy and mommy's food. I didn't try to make them be veggie at all. I was raised that way, veggie and I think it's wrong to do that to a kid. I think it's correct to give them a wide range of experiences and let them pick their own way.

Currently one of mine has been veggie for three years but she is eating a far less balanced and more processed diet and has been sick a great deal. The reasons she's been sick may not be diet related but more medication based. And she is in college, mostly making her own food which, she does the easiest way she can. I'm not pleased with her diet or how fat she has gotten much less her health. She has nearly died a few times in the last year due to decisions she's made, lack of exercises,  trips and medication.

The other one is still omnivorous, thin and fit. He basically eats whatever his dad and I make still. That's mostly fresh, healthy, balanced food.

• nuts4scouts
    February 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Give her the balanced, healthy, diet that a growing child needs to develop fully.

Leave the meat/no meat discussions, and decisions, until she is old enough to make her own, informed, decision.

If you are unsure of what, exactly, constitutes a balanced, healthy diet, talk to your daughter's pediatrician.

• ceciliam
    February 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I agree with this.

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Give her the balanced, healthy, diet that a growing child needs to develop fully.

Leave the meat/no meat discussions, and decisions, until she is old enough to make her own, informed, decision.

If you are unsure of what, exactly, constitutes a balanced, healthy diet, talk to your daughter's pediatrician.

• AimeeE
    by AimeeE
    February 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I am a nutritarian. I keep low nutrient foods to a minimum and strive to eat at least 90% of calories from unrefined plant foods. This doesn't mean that I never eat meat or dairy. I will eat meat or dairy every now and then for a special treat. (I can't lie......every now and then, I feel I can't go on without a big piece of rare steak, lol. :) ) We raise our children to be the same. At first, I wanted to be vegan, for health reasons, but given that my husband is in the meat business and I wasn't ready to say no to all meat forever, it didn't work that great for me. Nutritarian seams like a great balance. My husband has really taken to all of my vegan meals that I make and even says some are his favorite. :)

Some say "have the kids eat meat then decied when they're older if the don't want to eat meat anymore", but why not the other way around? Raise children vegan or vegie, then when they're older, if they want to eat meat....let them. I think as a parent, you want to raise your kids to be as healthy as you can. If you don't think meat is healthy, then why would you let your children have it? If it's an animal rights thing to not eat meat, then one might look at it differently. I personally don't think animal products are healthy, so for my family, even if my husband wanted them to eat animal products all the time, I would have to put my foot down and say no....just as one would with not wanting the other parent to give kids candy all day long. I think, at the end of the day, whatever you feed her should be what you think is MOST healthy for her because that is your duty as a parent.....whichever way you choose.

• hollydaze1974
    February 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    I think it's better to give her meat, all kinds. It's the same as giving her all sorts of veggies to try. I'm on your husbands, side. When she is old enough to understand, she can make her own choice.
  • HappyMommyToo
    February 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I agree with this as well.

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts