Advice for Moms

2BRBgirlz
Help! Coughing newborn
February 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM

My baby is 7 weeks old and has been coughing for over a week.  I have tried the humidifier, nasal aspirator, and steam.  I feel so bad for her, it's breaking my heart.  She has had several coughing attacks that were so bad that it made her throw up!! My DH says she sounds like a barking chipmunk!!  (It's not a croup-y cough though!)  Anyone have any other suggestions of what I might try?!  I just want my baby to feel better:(

Update: It appears that I failed to mention that yes, I have taken the baby to urgent care twice, friday and today, Docs have checked her lungs and their are no respitory concerns.  Both times they said that it is a cold and the cough just has to run it's course!!  Ya'll must think that I am a moron for not going to the doctor and I must say I can't blame you!!  I am mainly just looking for additional ways to what the doctors suggested that might help my DD be more comfortable until she feels better!

Replies

• frndlyfn
    February 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Did yoiu call her doctor yet?  It could be pneumonia, bronchitis, a upper respiratory thing, etc.   With this age i would be calling hte doctor for an appointment.

• 2curly
    by 2curly
    February 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Yes call the doctor

• 2BRBgirlz
    February 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Yes!  I am quite paranoid. I've been to urgent care twice, they checked her lungs and they are clear.  They said bring her back if she develops a fever or starts vomiting (right now, she is just spitting up), she has neither. They are worried about RSV (?) which is going around our area right now

Quoting frndlyfn:

Did yoiu call her doctor yet?  It could be pneumonia, bronchitis, a upper respiratory thing, etc.   With this age i would be calling hte doctor for an appointment.

• GremlinMom
    February 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    Parainfluenza is going around, which causes croup. Go see your doc! Just nurse her more often, its the best thing you can do for her. Nurse nurse nurse!
  • 2BRBgirlz
    February 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Yes, she has been twice!! They checked her lungs, which are clear.  They said cough just has to run it's course:(

Quoting 2curly:

Yes call the doctor

• 2curly
    by 2curly
    February 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Is she coughing all day long or more at night?

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Yes, she has been twice!! They checked her lungs, which are clear.  They said cough just has to run it's course:(

Quoting 2curly:

Yes call the doctor

• Allisonc7910
    RSV is going around. Can't be too careful with a newborn with a bad cough. Be sure to suction any excess phlegm in the nose and keep her on her belly or side. Keep using the steam. You could try a little chest rub for babies.
  • hollydaze1974
    Yes, OP, this needs a doctor. If you called a triage nurse now, she'd probably say ER immediately. Please get you baby to a dr. It could be any of frndly said or RSV. Especially if there is a crackle in the lower part of her lungs...even whooping cough. Please get an appt ASAP .

Quoting frndlyfn:

• AnnaNonamus
    February 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Time to try the doctor. Seriously- she probably should have been seen a week ago.

• 2BRBgirlz
    February 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Couldn't agree more, I failed to mention that she has been twice in the last seven days.  They said she is fine and the cough has to run it's course.

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Time to try the doctor. Seriously- she probably should have been seen a week ago.

Advice for Moms