Advice for Moms

SFLMom33
What do you do with leftover baby food/formula?
February 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM
When my son was born, I took advantage of sales/coupons to stock up on baby food/formula (before judgement is passed, I was unable to BF bc I had an incompetent OB who ignored preeclampsia, which resulted in CHF. I was on a toxic combination of meds that would have killed my son had I continued to BF).

I apparently shopped too well, because I have shelves worth of food left over, and he's been eating homemade baby food and regular food for awhile. I want to donate the god to a family in need, but before I donate to my church's food bank (some of the baby food, all organic, expires in 1-2 months), I wanted to ask what you ladies have done. I would love to help a family in need, but don't know if there is an organization (national or FL-based) that I should contact?

Advice appreciated. I have probably a Monty's worth of food and more than 2 months of formula available...

Replies

• Momniscient
    February 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    I throw it at breastfeeders ;)

I gave all my baby stuff to people I knew. No formula but a bunch of bottled food I had made.
  • SFLMom33
    February 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    I have a few friends with babies still at the right age. This is going to sound terrible, but none of them are really "in need." I could pass the food along and save some friends a few bucks, but if so much rather have helped someone make ends' meet than pass off to a friend to have an extra few bucks to go out/shop/get pampered. I love all if my girlfriends, but I feel like there has to be a better option. I read an article not that long ago about the % of mom's watering down formula bc it's so expensive and the negative outcomes...when my son had to switch from regular Similac to Soy / organic formula, I gave it to my pastor...but he passed it to an organization he supported and has since relocated to the Midwest and I haven't been able to reach him for their name.
  • SFLMom33
    February 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    Separately, you made me laugh, and thank you for that. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stand in line at the store with formula and hear comments from women who have no idea what I went through to end up with formula (2 weeks in the ICU, 1 of which I was on constant monitoring). I know most women have good intention, but wow.
  • MissTacoBell
    February 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM
    *gigglesnort*

But op best to donate it to a food pantry or post it free on CL.

Quoting Momniscient:

I throw it at breastfeeders ;)

I gave all my baby stuff to people I knew. No formula but a bunch of bottled food I had made.

• erinsmom1964
    February 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM

donate to the food bank

• alexis_06
    February 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

i would donate it to the food bank as well..they always need that kind of stuff :)

• kblpooh
    by kblpooh
    February 6, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    You could donate it to a woman's shelter and let them know it expires soon so they can give it away quickly. Or if there is any teen pregnancy center or house for teen mom's in your area donate it there.
  • lilmama8408
    February 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    Womans shelter
    Food bank
    Local church

They are usually always in need to help others.
  • lilmama8408
    February 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    As long as formula is unopened you can donate it to womans shelters and sometimes doctors offices.
  • amanda81919
    February 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Go figure, I had 3 sil who had babys when my baby didn't need it so I gave them her diapers, wipes, food and formula. But check at your local wic office maybe?

Advice for Moms