Advice for Moms

redsolocupmama
worried about dd!!!
February 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

We found out a week ago that she needs leg braces and we dont know for how long and to much more as to why just yet and shes needing pt on top of speech that she already does.. shes pretty upset about it all and she asking how is she gonna do her ju jituz and other activities... i dont knw what to say to her i tried to tell her it would be okay but shes almost 6 so shes upset and also afraid of getting picked on as thats already an issue 

Replies

• Maevelyn
    February 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM

if she needs leg braces she needs leg braces. I would get a second opinion. I would find a way for her to do ju jutuz I'm sure they'll work with you. Why don't know why she needs them yet?

• redsolocupmama
    February 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Needs another pt evaluation, to see whats the cause is 

• marisab
    by marisab
    February 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

why dont u know why??

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    February 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    Do whatever your child needs. Can't worry about bullying.
  • LoreleiSieja
    February 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

why does she need braces? I would definitely get a second oppinion... and then a third.  Visit a chiropractor first, and see if there isn't some other therapy that can correct the issue.  My sister wore a back brace for 7 years, had back surgery, then wore the brace for another two years... but later found out that this form of back problem can often be cured with exercise and chiropractic visits. 

If you find out she just needs the braces, then she needs the braces.  There are dolls that you can get that also have disabilities.  Although some children may tease at first, generally, they will come to accept her differences.  Speak with her teacher first.  Is she in Kindergarten or 1st grade?  The teacher might incorporate a unit on Special Needs in the classroom, pointing out that at some point in our lives, all of us may go through a period of special needs.  If one child brakes his arm, he may need help writing his homework.  If a child struggles with math, he may get a math tutor.  Teasing is a form of bullying, and should not be tolerated in any classroom.

If your child continues to struggle in her school, perhaps you need to find another school.

• kali_mom
    February 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Definitely get a second opinion and if that sounds too left field go for another. Sometimes we have to keep at it until our gut tells us it's the right thing. In the end if she needs. Races she just needs braces. As her father the thing she will need most from you is to Never have the desire to seek approval from any other child, boy or girl. Tell her how smart, talented and beautiful she is everyday and make sure she tells you how she feels so she can express her self. Keep up the good work with her !
  • LindaClement
    February 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I agree with this.

Sadly, there are a lot of 'professionals' out there who make the majority of their money on their retail sales, not their professional work, which leads many to overselling their products.

Quoting redsolocupmama:

Needs another pt evaluation, to see whats the cause is 

• la_bella_vita
    February 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Good luck

Advice for Moms