Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
hollieh79
Child's weight
February 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM
My girls are not fat, but stocky. My husband and I are normal to thin. They are at the upper end of the weight percentage scale, but also in height. My pediatrician is a little concerned but they seem to go through spurts of leaning out. They are very muscular. My sister and myself were built this way but grew up to never have weight issues. Anyone else have kids that were like this but thinned out?

Replies

• hollieh79
    February 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Bump, anyone? :)
  • britmichele
    February 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    No, but bump for ya!
  • cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    February 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    As long as their height and weight match up I wouldn't be concerned.
  • rHOPEb
    by rHOPEb
    February 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Sounds normal to me!  My kids will 'round out' then shoot up every time they have a growth spurt!  Our daughter is 4yr but about the size of a 5 or 6yr old.  She's 43in and 42lbs.  Then our son is HUGE......he is 6.5mos and 21lbs.  :)  I just thought that was normal!  

Oh.....and my nephew is 6yrs and weighs around 70-80lbs.  He's NOT fat, just a very 'big' boy!

All kids are different and grow differently!  If we were all the same then the world would be quite boring!

• MomOfNolan
    February 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I wouldn't be concerned as long as they are eating fairly healthy and are continuing to stay active.  A lot of kids go through that, both of my sisters have and they leveled out after puberty and haven't had weight issues since.  Everyone is different and height vs weight ratios change at different times for each individual. 

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    February 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

No sorry. My first is completely average and my second is super tiny. 

How old are they?

• hollieh79
    February 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    2 and 6. My two year old is 98% height and 95% weight. 6 yr old is 60% height and 58% weight. :)

• Mom2Just1
    February 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    I have small kids . My 6 year old weighs 50lbs and 52 inches tall. The baby weighs 12lbs at 9 weeks.
  • hollieh79
    February 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    I feed them very healthy and clean. No fast food or sodas. One takes tap and ballet. The other one just runs naked in the house and jumps on the trampoline ;)!
  • Matriarch87
    February 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I wonder why the doctor has any concern if their height and weight aligned?  Maybe the height isn't quite making up for the weight?  How old are they?  Maybe you could just make some tiny twirks to their diet and nip it in the bud?  I am majorly for parents controlling their kids' diet.  I was a fat little kid and have been fat my whole life.  I often wonder how different it would have been if my parents actually made me put the fork down while I was still highly impressionable.  Anyway, im super glad that having extra weight on you as a child didn't lead to any problems later down the line.  Hopefully your kids got those same genetics...but please remember that weight problems are much more than genetics...so just do what you think is right.  

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts