Advice for Moms

hollieh79
Child's weight
February 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM
My girls are not fat, but stocky. My husband and I are normal to thin. They are at the upper end of the weight percentage scale, but also in height. My pediatrician is a little concerned but they seem to go through spurts of leaning out. They are very muscular. My sister and myself were built this way but grew up to never have weight issues. Anyone else have kids that were like this but thinned out?

Replies

• hollieh79
    February 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    Think I need to step up their activity :). Thank u girls! Their weight percentage was higher before. Maybe that is why?
  • Jazmyn1
    by Jazmyn1
    February 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    If they look healthy to you dont worry I e found that ppl drs whatever have an unrealistic idea of what healthy is. My daughter weighs more.in high school then I did after I had her at 20 but shes thin and muscular. My son is just under 5ft and 104 lbs and not fat at all!! Hes 10 I wouldnt worry ppl focus way too much on this imo
  • Matriarch87
    February 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My son is 3'10 of 46 inches tall and weighs about 45 pounds.  Right now his weight for his height are right where they should be.  I tend to take a page from Jillian Michaels, while I urge him to eat healthy I dont deny him treats.  I feel extremely limiting a kids diet will later make them want to rebel, so i am all about balance.  If he eats all his vegetables he can have some strawberry wafer cookies.  He is also past the point of requiring Omega Fat for his brain, so I switched him from whole milk to skim milk and we rotate that with almond milk and coconut milk.  Im all about variety and trying to get his flavor palette nice and broad.  But I really dont deny him anything...within reason just because, "its not healthy"... I think a little bit of not healthy is healthy.  lol....if that makes sense to you.  : P  

• IntactivistMama
    February 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    I have the opposite problem. My two year old weighs 22lbs but is above average height. He eats very well, not picky etc.

DH was a skinny kid as was I. DS is thirdish percentile for weight. Ugh.
  • erinsmom1964
    February 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    You cant tell if a person is healthy or at a healthy weight by looking at them

Quoting Jazmyn1:

If they look healthy to you dont worry I e found that ppl drs whatever have an unrealistic idea of what healthy is. My daughter weighs more.in high school then I did after I had her at 20 but shes thin and muscular. My son is just under 5ft and 104 lbs and not fat at all!! Hes 10 I wouldnt worry ppl focus way too much on this imo
  • Jazmyn1
    by Jazmyn1
    February 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    I meant if they dont look fat and they are eating right and are keeping active why worry

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Jazmyn1:

• erinsmom1964
    February 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

They run a wonderful commercial here that shows a bunch of different people and different body shapes asking you to guess which are within range....overweight or obese.  Just by looking you can't always tell which is which.  I disagree with you wholeheartedly that Drs and people have unrealistic expectations and find that USUALLY the people who say such things are the ones who are overweight/obese and don't want to face it. And to say people focus too much on it tio me couldn't be more wrong with obesity rates what they are especially in children...JMO

Quoting Jazmyn1:

I meant if they dont look fat and they are eating right and are keeping active why worry

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Jazmyn1:

• Jazmyn1
    by Jazmyn1
    February 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    When drs and society say a size ten is plus size to me thats insane !!!! Sorry and not all.people who think this are obese or over weight

Quoting erinsmom1964:

They run a wonderful commercial here that shows a bunch of different people and different body shapes asking you to guess which are within range....overweight or obese.  Just by looking you can't always tell which is which.  I disagree with you wholeheartedly that Drs and people have unrealistic expectations and find that USUALLY the people who say such things are the ones who are overweight/obese and don't want to face it. And to say people focus too much on it tio me couldn't be more wrong with obesity rates what they are especially in children...JMO

Quoting Jazmyn1:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Jazmyn1:

• aurora.dove
    February 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Mine is almost 2, and since birth he goes through stages of getting chunky, then grows taller and thins out. My SD has always been the same way as well, she's 7. I think it's fairly normal.

• Nicholy10
    February 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM

My 3 year old has ALWAYS been 100% for hieght and weight. Currently not sure of his percents, but he's 42 pounds 44 inches tall. 

My 5 month old is more on the average side for height and weight.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts