Featured Posts
Beth3721
Those damn cats!
February 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

My cats are continually knocking over my garbage can and I'm starting to get really mad.  I thought they were doing it because there was something in there they wanted...but now they do it all the time, even when it's empty. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on heavier cans with lids that they can't knock over?

Replies

• frndlyfn
    February 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM

How are you disciplining the the cats?  I would put the can in a box or put a gate around it to dissuade .

• Beth3721
    February 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I just clap my hands loud, yell at them, and chase them into the laundry room to be locked up for a while.  Doesn't seem to work though.  The only thing we've been able to do is to put the garbage into another room which is a pain.  I can't really block the can off from them.

• Shari55
    by Shari55
    February 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

sidesplittinglaughterSorry to laugh we have four cats and three of them are such mischief makers.  As for your trash can issue, do they do this when you are asleep or do the do this right in front of you?

We have one who will look right at you and do something that she knows she isn't suppose to. To stop this behavior we just put things out of sight. For the trashcan issue, we had to put it in a closet at night and then during the day it could be out cause they never bothered with it.

We also have a squirt bottle that we use for bad behavior, they are actually pretty good...just like to be the center of attention.

• Beth3721
    February 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM

They do it whenever we are out of the room.  When I go in there they are both looking at me like "what?"  The only place I have to keep it is two rooms away which really sucks when you have to throw stuff away while in the kitchen. 

The spray bottle works for the one.  But the other one is so dumb and he just looks at you when you spray him like he doesn't understand and he doesn't move.  He really doesn't understand much.

Quoting Shari55:

sidesplittinglaughterSorry to laugh we have four cats and three of them are such mischief makers.  As for your trash can issue, do they do this when you are asleep or do the do this right in front of you?

We have one who will look right at you and do something that she knows she isn't suppose to. To stop this behavior we just put things out of sight. For the trashcan issue, we had to put it in a closet at night and then during the day it could be out cause they never bothered with it.

We also have a squirt bottle that we use for bad behavior, they are actually pretty good...just like to be the center of attention.

• Shari55
    by Shari55
    February 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM

My daughter Nyssa suggest putting a bag of unopened potting soil in the bottom of the can which will make it too heavy to knock over. Or whatever is heavy that the cats won't be able to knock over (5-lbs plus),

Quoting Beth3721:

They do it whenever we are out of the room.  When I go in there they are both looking at me like "what?"  The only place I have to keep it is two rooms away which really sucks when you have to throw stuff away while in the kitchen. 

The spray bottle works for the one.  But the other one is so dumb and he just looks at you when you spray him like he doesn't understand and he doesn't move.  He really doesn't understand much.

Quoting Shari55:

• Mommy2justone
    February 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Screw it to your floor?

• Aslen
    by Aslen
    February 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

put it under the sink

• Lindalou907
    February 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I had to bungee cord my trash can to the cabinet to keep my dogs from getting into it. I think a couple of bricks in the bottom of the trash can would work for your cats though.

• jabs54
    by jabs54
    February 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM

You can buy garbage cans that lock...

http://www.simplehuman.com/40-litre-slim-step-can-black-plastic?gclid=CNmCo7K-m7UCFdSkPAodRhEALw

• Beth3721
    February 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Ha.  That would work....

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Screw it to your floor?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts