Advice for Moms

LogansMommy0328
Anybody with a St. Bernard (or any dog trainers)need advice for puppy biteing to stop!
February 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM
We got our St. Bernard yesterday I love him to pieces already! He's a big sweetie but I'm getting sick of the puppy bites they hurt and I relize he does not know any better. All day I have been squealing ouch! And walking into another room so he will feel like he lost his playtoy like a time out. We have 2 children our 3yo dd and 4yo ds and I don't want them to be scared of our puppy because he's playing with them alittle rough, they play with him and they just adore him! he's been good so far and just in the 2 days we have had him he has been learning very well but I just want to stop the hard bites any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance!

Replies

• frndlyfn
    February 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM

It may take time but do the children also squeal and say ouch when he nips at them as well?  Also if they are rough playing with him, they will need to learn how to gentle play since rough play is a signal to the puppy that it is no holds barred playing.  Does he have the appropriate toys to chew on instead of his human family?

• LogansMommy0328
    February 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    They do say ouch to him but I end up picking them up so he stops. They are usually pretty good with dogs even small dogs but my son runs around with him and I think that's what's telling our puppy to nip. We have a few bones to chew and a puppy toy that's like a small tire with a roap attached to it so with those I try to distract him from our skin to the toys.

Quoting frndlyfn:

It may take time but do the children also squeal and say ouch when he nips at them as well?  Also if they are rough playing with him, they will need to learn how to gentle play since rough play is a signal to the puppy that it is no holds barred playing.  Does he have the appropriate toys to chew on instead of his human family?

• frndlyfn
    February 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Depending on his age talk to the vet about more ideas on how to curb this behavior with more positive reinforcement type training.  Perhaps he may need an obedience course since this breed can be pretty active and smart.

• mmccrea
    by mmccrea
    February 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I love training puppies!  I've worked with over 15 puppies in the last 2 years.  I scream "ouch" when they nip, and redirect their mouth to something like a rawhide, bone, ball, or other toy for their teeth.  Redirecting is #1.  Make sure the pup is getting enough exercise too.  

• LogansMommy0328
    February 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    We actually started puppy obedience training today I did my homework before adopting him I don't want him to think he's the boss because he could mess me up lol if he got out of control so we decided to start today and he did just wonderful perfect student! We have 5 more weeks of puppy training left then we more to the next level of training. :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Depending on his age talk to the vet about more ideas on how to curb this behavior with more positive reinforcement type training.  Perhaps he may need an obedience course since this breed can be pretty active and smart.

• LogansMommy0328
    February 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    Yea I started doing our obedience exercises with him to get him to stop nipping and it worked so far pretty well

Quoting mmccrea:

I love training puppies!  I've worked with over 15 puppies in the last 2 years.  I scream "ouch" when they nip, and redirect their mouth to something like a rawhide, bone, ball, or other toy for their teeth.  Redirecting is #1.  Make sure the pup is getting enough exercise too.  

• momrocks2000
    February 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Our Bloodhound (100 pds now) when very young, we adopted her at 3months old, she was somewhat of a biter, and chewed everything, & I mean everything:  esp. my DD stuff animals, my panties/bras, my shoes, 2 couches (no kidding), and an infamous pair of Italian boots that  I'm saving (6 years later) to get repaired...I only wore then 2 x's before our dog 'got them'.   I would suggest that you offer the dog "HER TOYS", her BONES, early on...and you constantly instill in her, the items are her toys, she can bite & tose...not our hands.  Say strong, deep voice (manly) NO's,  if all else fails, use a crate for him to go to when he disobeys.  It's a learning behavior, plus he's probably teething like a baby.  Being consistent on any poor behavior,  i have found corporal punishment (hitting, even with a newspaper) does not work.  Positive training, even with morsels of food WORKS....remember Maslows dog?  Most dogs are food driven,  when your dog stops his poor behavior and does good behavior , offer a morsel or a small candy right away.  Dogs run a short-term memory (most of the time), so good behavior gets an immediate treat.  It works wonders! Although once you begin giving 'treats' for good behavior, you must keep at it.  One morsel for good behavior, or you'll have a weight issue. :)    Praise works well too !  This goes for any behavior.  :)   Also, learn dog trainer hand signals...dogs (esp. young) can learn pretty much anything;  i've taught our dog   STOP, with the upper palm of my hand shown to her...amazing,  she listens (most of the time) although Bloodhound breeds are very stubborn, and pushy (with lots of power).  If I want her to stay on the top of the stairs, I put my hand up like a stop sign, she just stands or stis, and waits for me to tell her to come down the stairs.  Amazing.  It's all positive reinforcement, and continuous behavior on the dog owners part.   If you can rent dog tv shows (you may get them from the library) Dog Whisper, etc, these have taught me many techniques to get our dog to behave. 

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    February 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    They stop on their own. We just delt with it.
  • LogansMommy0328
    February 4, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    This is great advice thank you I'm just very frustrated with him but I'm still trying ill have to watch more shows and learn some new things thank you!

Quoting momrocks2000:

Our Bloodhound (100 pds now) when very young, we adopted her at 3months old, she was somewhat of a biter, and chewed everything, & I mean everything:  esp. my DD stuff animals, my panties/bras, my shoes, 2 couches (no kidding), and an infamous pair of Italian boots that  I'm saving (6 years later) to get repaired...I only wore then 2 x's before our dog 'got them'.   I would suggest that you offer the dog "HER TOYS", her BONES, early on...and you constantly instill in her, the items are her toys, she can bite & tose...not our hands.  Say strong, deep voice (manly) NO's,  if all else fails, use a crate for him to go to when he disobeys.  It's a learning behavior, plus he's probably teething like a baby.  Being consistent on any poor behavior,  i have found corporal punishment (hitting, even with a newspaper) does not work.  Positive training, even with morsels of food WORKS....remember Maslows dog?  Most dogs are food driven,  when your dog stops his poor behavior and does good behavior , offer a morsel or a small candy right away.  Dogs run a short-term memory (most of the time), so good behavior gets an immediate treat.  It works wonders! Although once you begin giving 'treats' for good behavior, you must keep at it.  One morsel for good behavior, or you'll have a weight issue. :)    Praise works well too !  This goes for any behavior.  :)   Also, learn dog trainer hand signals...dogs (esp. young) can learn pretty much anything;  i've taught our dog   STOP, with the upper palm of my hand shown to her...amazing,  she listens (most of the time) although Bloodhound breeds are very stubborn, and pushy (with lots of power).  If I want her to stay on the top of the stairs, I put my hand up like a stop sign, she just stands or stis, and waits for me to tell her to come down the stairs.  Amazing.  It's all positive reinforcement, and continuous behavior on the dog owners part.   If you can rent dog tv shows (you may get them from the library) Dog Whisper, etc, these have taught me many techniques to get our dog to behave. 

• ceciliam
    February 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, just be consistent. :)

Advice for Moms