Advice for Moms

saysmom
I thought separation anxiety but not sure. HELP!!!!!
by saysmom
February 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

My daughter is getting redy to be 17 months. I stay home with her so she is use to being with me all day! Bt my hubby does care for her Lit at night while I am running my oldest to sports. If we are at home, she has to be in sight of me and most of the time wants to cling to my leg. I can't get anything done with her attached to my leg. But the weird thing is thAt I go to the gym and can leave her In the nursery and she is just fine. She blows me a kiss goodbye and she is fine. So why would she be ok with that but has to be clinched to my leg at home???

Replies

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    February 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Could it be that she does this from habit or as a comfort item- like a blankie or stuffed animal, only it's your leg?  I wonder if it would help to remove her and hand her a stuffed animal or little blanket so you can walk around. :)

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    February 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

She does it because you allow her to do it. As Bmat said, you need to give her a substitution for your leg...

• Lindalou907
    February 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM

That's interesting, that gym must be pretty fun for her! My Grandson went through a clingy phase like that but I think he was cutting molars and just wanted comfort.

• DanaG70
    by DanaG70
    February 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM

She'll either out grow it, or become a permanent growth on your leg. =)

• Retrokitty
    February 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    You can't spoil a child with cuddles. I honestly would enjoy it while it lasts. It may not be to far off when she won't even look at you without rolling her eyes.
  • LiLsMaMa21
    February 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM

My dd is kind of like that right now only she's almost 5!!! I drop her off a school and she is fine but the minute we are home (all of us) she's all up in my business! Constantly kissing me and hugging me, which is great but sometimes very awkward (like when I'm going pee! lol). I honestly think it's a competition thing with dh and when he's not here it's attention and time that she wants from me. And that's ok but sometimes I have to explain to her that I need to get things done and that she needs to go play for a while...something that won't be too easy for you just yet with yours being so young. 

• GoldenLinds
    February 2, 2013 at 1:11 AM
    My son is 19 months old and exactly the same way. I've found that I have to work with his schedule instead of trying to make him work to mine. When he's clinging I put my things down and play with him or cuddle him or whatever. Once he's interested in somehing I go back to what I was doing. It might only last for a few minutes but oh well. I know he's needing that attention and its incredibly important to me that he knows that he is important. He's just not old enough to wait a minute and since I'm all he's got I have to be who he's got all the time.
  • JasonsMom2007
    February 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM
    My 5 year old is still that way although he is getting more and more clingy.
  • ballerossandra
    February 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

My son is 18 and he does the same.he would even go on a long pony ride along a track wher he doesn't see me and he's cool with that but at home I can't even use the bathroom

• dallas4nu
    February 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM
    18 MONTHS I'm assuming lol....

Quoting ballerossandra:

My son is 18 and he does the same.he would even go on a long pony ride along a track wher he doesn't see me and he's cool with that but at home I can't even use the bathroom

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts