Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
phreddy1
D(ue) Day Prepping???
February 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Ok, my child is due through scheduled C Section on April 11th. We're getting into crunch time here and I have some serious questions about gear I need to have, how much of what, what are the best, cheapest products etc.

My biggest question is diapers. How many did cloth and what did you think of them? I've talked to my mom about it she tried it with my older brother for a whopping 2 weeks before deciding to go disposable. I know that disposable diapers are SUPER expensive after a while, and I know that cloth diapers can be extraoridnarily messy.

I've looked online, and read some baby books that have these check lists in them, but I haven't actually talked to any new moms on the account that I don't have many friends here where I just moved to. Any suggestions? I have the main things, crib, carseat, tub, some sleepers, a few onesies (I don't know how many of what size to get because I know that newborns are not in newborn clothing for very long) I am not being thrown a baby shower, so I have to put everything together myself. I need some SERIOUS advice for prepping for the due day! Anything is helpful! Thank you in advance!

~Erica~

Replies

• CatFishMom
    February 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM

First, congrats! Second, cloth diapers vs disposables-cloth diapers are no longer the diapers your mom used-and I dont mean that in a condescending way. They are very much like disposable diapers-with the obvious exception of not being thrown away-depending on the brand and style you use. Ive only used Fuzzibunz one size diapers which I did like but unfortunately my boys both developed infections in their pee-pees due to the amonia. Please dont let the scare you off-in all the cloth diapering sites Ive read, Ive never heard of that happening to anyone else! You really have to do your research on CD's and figure out which you would prefer. I can give a couple tips on All-In-Ones (I never used prefolds or anything that required a separate cover, that seemed too much effort for me when I wanted simplicity) but I only used the one brand-snaps are generally better than velcro because they last longer. I went one size because, while a bit bulkier, you dont have to spend a couple hundred dollars every time they hit the weight limit on the size youre on-to me that isnt save you much money when you have to do it three or four times, depending on the diaper. You also have to decide if you want to mess with inserts-some brands the insert falls out on its own in the wash, some you have to tug out yourself which involves touching a wet insert (not a big deal to me since even poopy diapers are just wet, the mess is on the outside, and yes, you dump solids in the toilet and swish a little but I never touched water) There are also the diapers that are like a cross between cloth and disposable where the shell is reused but the insert thrown away. I dont know anything about those and I cant remember the name but Im sure someone else will. The biggest catch to these diapers is that theyre fairly expensive to purchase in a lump and you need (recommended) at least twelve to really get anywhere with them. I had more and could wash every other day instead of every day.

That said, WalMart brand diapers are perfectly fine if you want disposable!

As for baby gear, especially since you have to buy everything yourself, you really should find a good consignment shop near you to purchase the rest of your stuff from. Jumpers are great, my boys loved them, swings are nice but to me not a necessity. I used mine but I was too afraid of the baby getting attached and not wanting to sleep anywhere else so I really sabotaged it myself. For me, the only other big thing I wouldnt live without is an exersaucer. My boys both used them before they could even hold their heads up because they wanted to see everything-I would put a pillow behind them, a blanket in front and pillows beneath and they were thrilled and would grin and chatter while they looked at the toys.

The clothes you need depend on where you live-I live in FL so winter clothes are obviously not a priority for me, and therefore plain onesies that you would use for layering were never something I had any use for. If you live in a cold area, I would have several onesies to put under their clothes. Same for sleepers when it comes to thickness. I would try to have about fourteen outfits, maybe a little less, and a couple of 'special' outfits-two outfits per day in case they get dirty and need a change of clothes. Lots of bibs but not small ones-plan for four month size because thats when they start to eat solids. I never used hats at all, nor mittens. Socks for infants are great but a huge pain because they spend most of their time falling off. I love fuzzy socks but dont bother with them because theyre the worst with falling off!

Infant washcloths, a couple of towels, some stacking cups-yes, those were a necessity in my house and I got them at Target, they look like a caterpillar when linked together-a mesh feeder for frozen fruit when they start to teeth.

Okay, my post is way long enough so good luck!

• phreddy1
    February 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Oh my gosh! Thank you this is so helpful! I want to get a swing, but like you I'm worried that she will get attached to sleeping in it instead of her crib. I know that it's ridiculous to want to "sleep train" them so early, but I only want to have her in a bassinet for maybe MAYBE a week, and then have her in her crib. I understand that with having a c section that's going to make it more difficult for me, getting up every couple of hours to nurse, or pump but I think that the earlier she starts sleeping in her crib the easier it will be to have her start a schedule and she won't be so cranky when she starts it.

As for the swing, I'm not sure about it. I want to be able to put her down in it for a while and let her look at the lights and the soothing music and all that fun stuff while I do all my housewife crap, but I really really don't want her getting too attached to it. I really want to get a Moby Sling wrap, but I can't do any sort of cleaning with chemicals with her in that and I just thought maybe a swing would be best for when I'm doing things like that.

I definitely want to have an exersauscer! But I was thinking I couldn't do that until she starts to hold her head up, so I thought I might just get one of the tummy time mats, and see how she does with that. Any experience with those?

What do you know about these baby einstein type programs? Do you think it makes a difference if the song they're listening to has the periodic table in it? I've been reading to her, some of my favorite books, but that's just so she can hear my voice, not really for educaitonal purposes. I DO NOT want her to be raised by the damn tv... I've seen that way too many times with kids especially from parents of my generation. I am not okay with that, but I am okay with educational shows. I actually enjoy Yo Gabba Gabba a lot! Used to watch it with my friend's daugter, she absolutely adored it! And I did too!

Pumping VS nipple feeding? I am so worried about my nipples. That's ridiculous too, but I am a very (VERY) well endowed chested woman (GG currently at 7 1/2 months) and my nipples and breasts have never hurt so much in my life. I know pumping is painful too, but I don't know about cracked, chapped, dry nipples that my daughter tries to gum and eventually chew on when she start teething.

I have a bunch of onesies, we're in Missouri but she isn't due until April 11th so it will start to warm up not too too long after she arrives so we haven't invested in any winter clothing. We have a couple of jackets, and if it's really cold we have blankets and a few hats. We did get some of the no scratch mittens... A friend of mine had an awful situaiton with her son scratching his mouth really bad when he had thrush, he ended up cutting his gums and bleeding and my friend freaked out, crying, didn't know what to do and I know that she was overreacting to it, but I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing if it was my 2 month old who just randomly started bleeding out of their mouth. We have socks, and I expect they'll fall off all the time, just hang out in the back of my car :)

• FeliciaDurham
    February 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Check out this site for cloth diapers. www.dy-dee.com I have not tried them. You also need a baby swing or bouncy seat, mittens, hats, socks. it would be helpful to have a breast pump, I recommend an electric one, also I pumped and nippel fed. You need a pump for each side cuz while your pumping or feeding your baby the other breast will leak, also breast pads. You will need bottles, bottle brush and rack no matter what.  Baby soap and lotion, pacifiers (they work use them, trust me) There is so much more, I can go on for days.  I love baby enstines so does my daughter we have had them since she was a baby also check with your tv provider and see if the have Baby First Tv or check them out online. My baby watched only that channel for the longist time and people tell me shes so smart all the time. Have you thought of what your bring to the hospital for delivery? 

• yperez0209
    February 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I love using a swing. It's a life saver sometimes. And my babies slept in the swing or in there crib. I even had a baby with severe reflux that couldn't sleep laying down. She was in her vibrating chair for months. 

About your nipples, babies don't nipple feed they breast feed. In the beginning it's a learning process and your nipples will be soar. They key is to teach the baby to open wide and suck on your areola not your nipple to much. I would stick to the breast, pumping all the time is a pain. And a breast pump will never be as efficient at milking your breast as a baby. Great book to read is by Dr. Sears The Breastfeeding book. 

Quoting phreddy1:

Oh my gosh! Thank you this is so helpful! I want to get a swing, but like you I'm worried that she will get attached to sleeping in it instead of her crib. I know that it's ridiculous to want to "sleep train" them so early, but I only want to have her in a bassinet for maybe MAYBE a week, and then have her in her crib. I understand that with having a c section that's going to make it more difficult for me, getting up every couple of hours to nurse, or pump but I think that the earlier she starts sleeping in her crib the easier it will be to have her start a schedule and she won't be so cranky when she starts it.

As for the swing, I'm not sure about it. I want to be able to put her down in it for a while and let her look at the lights and the soothing music and all that fun stuff while I do all my housewife crap, but I really really don't want her getting too attached to it. I really want to get a Moby Sling wrap, but I can't do any sort of cleaning with chemicals with her in that and I just thought maybe a swing would be best for when I'm doing things like that.

I definitely want to have an exersauscer! But I was thinking I couldn't do that until she starts to hold her head up, so I thought I might just get one of the tummy time mats, and see how she does with that. Any experience with those?

What do you know about these baby einstein type programs? Do you think it makes a difference if the song they're listening to has the periodic table in it? I've been reading to her, some of my favorite books, but that's just so she can hear my voice, not really for educaitonal purposes. I DO NOT want her to be raised by the damn tv... I've seen that way too many times with kids especially from parents of my generation. I am not okay with that, but I am okay with educational shows. I actually enjoy Yo Gabba Gabba a lot! Used to watch it with my friend's daugter, she absolutely adored it! And I did too!

Pumping VS nipple feeding? I am so worried about my nipples. That's ridiculous too, but I am a very (VERY) well endowed chested woman (GG currently at 7 1/2 months) and my nipples and breasts have never hurt so much in my life. I know pumping is painful too, but I don't know about cracked, chapped, dry nipples that my daughter tries to gum and eventually chew on when she start teething.

I have a bunch of onesies, we're in Missouri but she isn't due until April 11th so it will start to warm up not too too long after she arrives so we haven't invested in any winter clothing. We have a couple of jackets, and if it's really cold we have blankets and a few hats. We did get some of the no scratch mittens... A friend of mine had an awful situaiton with her son scratching his mouth really bad when he had thrush, he ended up cutting his gums and bleeding and my friend freaked out, crying, didn't know what to do and I know that she was overreacting to it, but I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing if it was my 2 month old who just randomly started bleeding out of their mouth. We have socks, and I expect they'll fall off all the time, just hang out in the back of my car :)

• phreddy1
    February 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I did get an electric pump that was one of the first things that I got because I plan to breast feed. I ordered gel pads for my nipples, they're reusable and washable and I thought that might be better than just getting the disposable pads. I'm looking to save money anywhere I can. Children are so expensive already I'm trying to keep costs down as much as I possibly can.

I have no idea what to bring to the hospital with me, what should I bring? I have honestly thought about getting adult diapers for right after the c section. I have really heavy periods to begin with, and I know that everyone says it's like your worst period tripled. I'd prefer not to ruin every undergarmet I have and use the diapers for extra protection for my pants, couch, mattress, etc. Is that an okay idea?

Quoting FeliciaDurham:

Check out this site for cloth diapers. www.dy-dee.com I have not tried them. You also need a baby swing or bouncy seat, mittens, hats, socks. it would be helpful to have a breast pump, I recommend an electric one, also I pumped and nippel fed. You need a pump for each side cuz while your pumping or feeding your baby the other breast will leak, also breast pads. You will need bottles, bottle brush and rack no matter what.  Baby soap and lotion, pacifiers (they work use them, trust me) There is so much more, I can go on for days.  I love baby enstines so does my daughter we have had them since she was a baby also check with your tv provider and see if the have Baby First Tv or check them out online. My baby watched only that channel for the longist time and people tell me shes so smart all the time. Have you thought of what your bring to the hospital for delivery? 

• sleepymommy87
    February 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    April 11th is my birthday! :)
  • anotherandree
    February 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM

You asked about the onsies.  Someone gave me advice and it worked for me so I pass it to you.  For us, we got sizes 3-6 months in onsies and then when they grew out of them, we got the 9-12 months.  Yep, they were big, but most of the time they went under stuff anyway so it didn't really matter.  It made them last longer.  Other people bought us a few that actually fit.  There are my 2 cents so take it or leave it.  And CONGRATS!!

• DragonMother10
    February 1, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    My son was born April 10 last year. Congrats! I had an emergency C-section so be prepared to stay a few days. No need to worry about adult diapers, the hospital should provide large pads and you won't be able to do much at first. It's painful after surgery about 2 weeks long, but it is worth it when your little one comes. Make sure to walk when you can! They should issue you a binder and make sure to clean your wound, but they will tell you how to take care of it. I was worried about them removing the staples, but not as bad as I thought it would. Do you have a Boppy pillow? If not get one, greatest invention for nursing, especially after having a C-section.
  • AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    February 2, 2013 at 2:43 AM
    Sleep is sleep is sleep is sleep.

Swing or floor or drawer or crib.

I used to be anal about that stuff but if I did it again I would do it different knowing that it didn't matter.

It seriously has no bearing on our lives now, mine are 4&6.

I do love a good routine though.

Anyway, seems you got good advice about the rest. :)
  • JasonsMom2007
    February 2, 2013 at 2:49 AM
    Tv before 2 is bad for development no matter what they are watching.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts