Featured Posts
gem_mommie
Paraguard - PIOG
February 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Hi Ladies,

I have had terrible luck with oral birth control in the past. Mood swings, lethargy, depression, anger, violent outburts, weight fluctuation, etc. Hormones just aren't something of mine to mess with. lol. My husband and I have 3 children and we've been discussing birth control. We truly don't want anymore babies. I'm considering Paraguard because it's hormone free, it's not surgical, it's more effective than condoms (duh), and it can be (should it work out) long term. I'm just feeling...a little nervous. The only person I know that has had an IUD is my mom. She said she didn't really experience any pain, just some discomfort and cramping afterward but nothing more than period like cramps.

I know all of our bodies are different, and there are no guarantees - but I'm curious about other mom's input. I'd like to know about any experiences you've personally had with it - or friends that you have that have shared their experiences.

Thanks!

Replies

• SRUsarahSC
    February 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM

BUMP because I hate the pills and have bad reactions but am too chickenshit to try any implanted things.  Want to see the responses.

• K_D88
    by K_D88
    February 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    Have it love it.
  • Miss-tearious
    February 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I had my paragard inserted last March or April (can't remember which!). Like you, I had bad problems with the pill. I was soooo moody and I would cry at the smallest things. Like if I stubbed my toe? Biggest sob story ever. It was pathetic! I was easily irritated and had little to no patience.

I have not ever had children, nor have I ever been pregnant. My doctor was a little wary of me getting an IUD because of that. She said it would probably be more painful for me than for women who have given birth. It was painful, but just felt like a really bad cramp. After insertion I had cramps the rest of the day so I went home and stayed wrapped up in a ball on the couch. The next day no cramps. A little bit of spotting, but that stopped after a few days. My periods are MUCH heavier now and I have cramps. Before my IUD I never had cramps on my period. I thought about having it removed, but I didn't like any of the alternative forms of birth control. DH and I don't plan on having kids for a few years; I need to finish school and once I'm done I'll have lots of student loans to pay off. Oh yeah, and I have 4 SKs which makes life super crazy. So I'm sticking with the IUD for at least another two years. Although my periods are much worse I'd still rather have that then being all crazy from hormonal birth control.

Just remember that everyone's body is different and you never know how yours will react. I still think IUDs are a great thing and would recommend them to anyone who doesn't want hormonal birth control. I also read somewhere that it can take between 6 & 9 months for your body to fully adjust to an IUD, so keep that in mind if you get it and are feeling like it isn't worth it. I would definitely wait a good number of months to see if your body adjusts.

• gem_mommie
    February 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

lollll...love this! me too! I'm a wreck and my appointment isn't until the end of this month. Then I still have to wait another 2 - 4 weeks before my appointment to have it inserted.

I'm starting to see a lot of really positive feedback. I've decided to definitely go for it, give it a try and see how it works for me. I've already discussed it with my husband and we've agreed that if Paraguard ends up being a fail then he's getting a vasectomy. I love my babies and I love being pregnant but I'm so ready to NOT worry about pregnancy anymore. I'm 33 and I'm ready to start getting to a place where I can be selfish sometimes and I can feel like I have a little more freedom as our kids get older. I don't want to start all over again, lol. I am NOT looking forward to this at all, but I'm trying to really be open-minded and positive. I'll definitely be back to post my own experience once I have gotten the paraguard.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

BUMP because I hate the pills and have bad reactions but am too chickenshit to try any implanted things.  Want to see the responses.

• gem_mommie
    February 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Thank you for this! I really appreciate your honesty. My cousin is also considering the paraguard; she's a big reason why I'm moving forward with it. She's much younger than I am and I decided I would go before she did to give her more of an idea of what happens and what I experience so she isn't as nervous and scared. She hasn't had babies yet either, but she doesnt want any for a long while. Our family just doesn't seem to do well with any type of hormonal bc. She had multiple episodes of dizziness and even passed out a few times. It was terrible. So we're praying this will be a good match for her as well. :)

Quoting Miss-tearious:

I had my paragard inserted last March or April (can't remember which!). Like you, I had bad problems with the pill. I was soooo moody and I would cry at the smallest things. Like if I stubbed my toe? Biggest sob story ever. It was pathetic! I was easily irritated and had little to no patience.

I have not ever had children, nor have I ever been pregnant. My doctor was a little wary of me getting an IUD because of that. She said it would probably be more painful for me than for women who have given birth. It was painful, but just felt like a really bad cramp. After insertion I had cramps the rest of the day so I went home and stayed wrapped up in a ball on the couch. The next day no cramps. A little bit of spotting, but that stopped after a few days. My periods are MUCH heavier now and I have cramps. Before my IUD I never had cramps on my period. I thought about having it removed, but I didn't like any of the alternative forms of birth control. DH and I don't plan on having kids for a few years; I need to finish school and once I'm done I'll have lots of student loans to pay off. Oh yeah, and I have 4 SKs which makes life super crazy. So I'm sticking with the IUD for at least another two years. Although my periods are much worse I'd still rather have that then being all crazy from hormonal birth control.

Just remember that everyone's body is different and you never know how yours will react. I still think IUDs are a great thing and would recommend them to anyone who doesn't want hormonal birth control. I also read somewhere that it can take between 6 & 9 months for your body to fully adjust to an IUD, so keep that in mind if you get it and are feeling like it isn't worth it. I would definitely wait a good number of months to see if your body adjusts.

• SRUsarahSC
    February 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

24 more lbs (hoping to lose that by July, down 6 last month) and we are TTC again (second and final) but after that I NEED to find something else...BC gives me migraines and I react differently to each one,suddenly too.  I told DH I would be willing to try Paraguard since it's hormone free but if it doesn't work he's getting cut.  I read through it, I still feel like a chickenshit lol.  To be fair, I am like this all the time when it comes to doctors and meds. No reason, just hate them.  I'll keep an eye out for your update!

Quoting gem_mommie:

lollll...love this! me too! I'm a wreck and my appointment isn't until the end of this month. Then I still have to wait another 2 - 4 weeks before my appointment to have it inserted.

I'm starting to see a lot of really positive feedback. I've decided to definitely go for it, give it a try and see how it works for me. I've already discussed it with my husband and we've agreed that if Paraguard ends up being a fail then he's getting a vasectomy. I love my babies and I love being pregnant but I'm so ready to NOT worry about pregnancy anymore. I'm 33 and I'm ready to start getting to a place where I can be selfish sometimes and I can feel like I have a little more freedom as our kids get older. I don't want to start all over again, lol. I am NOT looking forward to this at all, but I'm trying to really be open-minded and positive. I'll definitely be back to post my own experience once I have gotten the paraguard.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

• mybabytristan
    February 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    I've had mine for a year and love it. I do bleed a bit heavier but its nothing I can't just deal with. I did get a bacterial infection right after but I am prone to those since having my son and it was just an antibiotic vaginally to treat it. Other than those 2 minor things I have no complaints. No weight gain no need to remember pills the nuva ring grossed me out and actually came out during sex once so embarassing.
  • gem_mommie
    February 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM
    Lol! This is so me! I'm always nervous about EVERYTHING. It's ridiculous. But especially doc/medical related stuff. And really...I honestly don't know how any woman ever gets like comfortable and relaxed about opening up for the big money shot with a doc. I'm still the shy, bundling up my panties and stuffing them under my jeans, trying to pretend I'm not really in there, wishing it was already over type. Lol.

Congrats on the weight loss! That's always an awesome feeling! Good luck w/baby #2. ;)

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

24 more lbs (hoping to lose that by July, down 6 last month) and we are TTC again (second and final) but after that I NEED to find something else...BC gives me migraines and I react differently to each one,suddenly too.  I told DH I would be willing to try Paraguard since it's hormone free but if it doesn't work he's getting cut.  I read through it, I still feel like a chickenshit lol.  To be fair, I am like this all the time when it comes to doctors and meds. No reason, just hate them.  I'll keep an eye out for your update!

Quoting gem_mommie:

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts