Featured Posts
Samantha.Stetka
Decided not to get an epidural. Any tips for delivery?
January 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM

My name is Samantha, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant.  I am sixteen this is my first child, and I am having a boy. In the beginging of my pregnancy I said that I was getting an epidural. But on second thoughts I have decided not to. I want to have an ALL natural birth, without any medicine or needles or anything. I am just terriefied of needles, and for my family that did get them, they had bad expirences. I just don't want to do it. I'll probably regret it during labor, but it will be worth it. I know the pain will end eventually. But do you have any tips for me? Anything! haha Thanks!:)

Replies

• kirita323
    January 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Ha! I only meant DURING labor lol. The part where you say "I can't do this anymore", (but you're really almost there). There is an intense pain and to pretend that doesn't exist would be silly. Every woman I know has come to a point where they say/think I can't do it anymore. And even if in that moment you regret it, it's still possible to get through it. And then the moment passes, and afterwards, it's all worth it, the most amazing feeling in the world.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting kirita323:

You will definitely regret it during labor! lol. Labor and contractions hurt. But it is possible for any woman to get through the pain (I gave birth naturally at home and I'm no superwoman). Be prepared, watch birth videos, read natural birth stories (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth), take a class on techniques to ease pain. Did you know that fear intensifies pain? But most of all, trust your body.

LOL!

No!!

Most of us don't regret it (I don't know anyone~~).
    The benefits are too worth it!

;-)

• Meghan6391
    January 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM
    I had a baby a month ago.. my epideral didn't work right... it shut down my legs and the top of my tummy... i can say the pain hurts like hell, it is easier for pushing that you can feel the process and all but it does hurt. When i was done and my son was born i couldn't walk for hours though bc the epi messed up my legs only...
  • Platinum_Mommy
    January 31, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Don't forget to breathe lol! I had my last daughter naturally and breathing is what got me through it! :) Good luck to you!

• Olivia11812
    January 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM
    I had my daughter in November all natural!!! What I did to get through it was did alot of walking around the labor and delivery halls (as long as your labor is going ok) this helps the process go faster, through each contraction I made sure to breathe and my husband and mil would rub my lower back!!! I also got in the tub with hot water which feels so amazing when your having contractions, it doesn't take the pain away obv but it sure does help a lot!!! I had a doula who was there for support and walked me through the whole labor, so if you feel ok with it u should ask for a doula!!! Having a lot of support helps like have as many family members or friends there u feel comfortable with!!! And the labor ball works great too!!! I was only in "hard" labor for 5 hours and only had to push for about 8 minutes!! They say usually with your first you have long labor time and they say for pushing time usually take a bit longer then 8 minutes!!! So I think everything I did helped me to have a faster labor and delivery!! And just like you said the pain doesn't last forever so I think if you keep positive and strong you will do great and you will feel so good after words knowing you did it natural!!! But don't get me wrong if you do end up needing the meds it doesn't make you any less of a strong person some people's bodies just don't react all the same!!!
  • emmy526
    by emmy526
    January 31, 2013 at 7:14 AM

i had three all natural, and wouldn't do it any other way....I was up and around fine within 24hrs, no problems...you need to prep your body for natural childbirth....the library has some good books on how to do that.  The bradley method is favorable for a calm birth, then there's Lamaze, home birth, water birth, ....are you using a hospital or birthing center?  It does make a huge difference where you go as well...a birthing center is less likely to  talk you into drugs/epi if you don't want that, where as a hospital wants you to do what is on  THEIR agenda...if the baby isn't coming fast enough for the dr, they may suggest an epi, to make th dr happy, and rush the labor along...do you have a support person with you during this time?

• southernbelle07
    January 31, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    I had an epidural both times I gave birth and they didn't work for me either time. If I ever have another, I won't even bother. It hurts like hell, but I felt 100% better after giving birth. I needed very little recovery as I had no tearing or anything. No one had to help me to the bathroom. I was up walking around almost immediately.
    Seriously, focus on your breathing, and moan if you have to. With my first, a nurse seriously tried to tell me to try breathing without making noise. Umm... No. It hurts, and I can't hurt this bad quietly.
  • ambermario4ever
    January 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM

You will still have to have needles if you go to a hospital they will make you have an vi to stay hydrated 

• kbeeck
    by kbeeck
    January 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Just go with the flow of it. Your body will tell you what's right, for you. I wanted to go all natural to but things changed when I had really bad back labor and my contractions were right on top of each other. I had no time to catch my breath before another one would start. I was glad I got epidural not only to help me recover from intense labor but also because my son's head was side ways when I delivered and he riped me side ways. I was in labor for thirteen hours! You just have to wait until the labor day, any thing can happen to change things.

• doulala
    by doulala
    January 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Quoting ambermario4ever:

You will still have to have needles if you go to a hospital they will make you have an vi to stay hydrated 

Not true.   We do not have to.

We don't have to, and drinking is the normal way to hydrate--  it works well every day.

;-)

• ambermario4ever
    January 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Quoting doulala:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Not true.   We do not have to.

We don't have to, and drinking is the normal way to hydrate--  it works well every day.

;-)

And a lot of hospitals don't let you eat or drink during labor they make you get an iv

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN