Featured Posts
Samantha.Stetka
Decided not to get an epidural. Any tips for delivery?
January 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM

My name is Samantha, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant.  I am sixteen this is my first child, and I am having a boy. In the beginging of my pregnancy I said that I was getting an epidural. But on second thoughts I have decided not to. I want to have an ALL natural birth, without any medicine or needles or anything. I am just terriefied of needles, and for my family that did get them, they had bad expirences. I just don't want to do it. I'll probably regret it during labor, but it will be worth it. I know the pain will end eventually. But do you have any tips for me? Anything! haha Thanks!:)

Replies

• A.J.s_mommy
    January 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    I had my baby all natural 4 months ago. I had my first 5 years go with an epidural. The natural was better for me! I felt more like myself after delivery without the epidural. It hurts, but it will pass!
  • aimhawk
    by aimhawk
    January 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Just remember to breathe and find some point in the room to put your focus on!

• Samantha.Stetka
    January 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM

My mother had my two brothers and sister all natural and then tried an epidural. they messed it up and her pain was 10X worse and I ended up breaking her tail bone. Lol

I know the pain will pass, I just got to keep thinking about my son:)

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

I had my baby all natural 4 months ago. I had my first 5 years go with an epidural. The natural was better for me! I felt more like myself after delivery without the epidural. It hurts, but it will pass!

• A.J.s_mommy
    January 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    Once he's out it will all be over!! You can do it.

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

My mother had my two brothers and sister all natural and then tried an epidural. they messed it up and her pain was 10X worse and I ended up breaking her tail bone. Lol

I know the pain will pass, I just got to keep thinking about my son:)

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

• Mrsfarr
    by Mrsfarr
    January 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    Try to be up, moving around if they'll let you. Remember to breathe, have someone apply counter pressure if your labor hurts in your back, try to keep telling yourself that all the pain is healthy and it brings your baby closer to being in your arms. Your best chance to avoid interventions is to wait to go into the hospital until your contractions are about 2 minutes apart.

If you do give in and get an epidural, don't beat yourself up about it. You didn't fail. Good luck!
  • dedicatedrider
    January 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    I highly recommend reading the book ”Birthing From Within” lots of helpful ideas in there. Ultimately though, follow your body's lead in labor, do whatever you find helps you in the moment whether it's standing and swaying, rocking on your hand and knees, moaning or screaming =)
  • Tatiana7
    January 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    Lots of great advice here.

Just remember too, that there is no shame in asking for pain relief if you need it. This is your personal experience. Only you can decide what works best when delivery time arrives.
  • Samantha.Stetka
    January 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Thank you guys for all the great advice!:) It's appreciated VERY much!:)

• 2curly
    by 2curly
    January 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I would recommend taking some birthing classes, so that you can get an idea of what to expect.  Plus you can learn all your options and go into it with an open mind.  I went all natural with my second child.  It was painful especially at the end, but it is tolerable.  You have to find what works for you to get through the pain and remember to breathe.  I liked that I could walk around, it really helped me.  I had really bad back labor and I had my husband rubbing my back too.  After giving birth, I felt good enough to walk around. no restrictions. I am glad that I did it naturally.  I wish you the best and good luck.

• Samantha.Stetka
    January 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Yes i am taking the classes!:) They aren;t for another two months though, so I was just looking for general tips. Thanks!:)

Quoting 2curly:

I would recommend taking some birthing classes, so that you can get an idea of what to expect.  Plus you can learn all your options and go into it with an open mind.  I went all natural with my second child.  It was painful especially at the end, but it is tolerable.  You have to find what works for you to get through the pain and remember to breathe.  I liked that I could walk around, it really helped me.  I had really bad back labor and I had my husband rubbing my back too.  After giving birth, I felt good enough to walk around. no restrictions. I am glad that I did it naturally.  I wish you the best and good luck.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts