Advice for Moms

Samantha.Stetka
Decided not to get an epidural. Any tips for delivery?
January 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM

My name is Samantha, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant.  I am sixteen this is my first child, and I am having a boy. In the beginging of my pregnancy I said that I was getting an epidural. But on second thoughts I have decided not to. I want to have an ALL natural birth, without any medicine or needles or anything. I am just terriefied of needles, and for my family that did get them, they had bad expirences. I just don't want to do it. I'll probably regret it during labor, but it will be worth it. I know the pain will end eventually. But do you have any tips for me? Anything! haha Thanks!:)

Replies

• momofourmonkeys
    February 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Don't let anyone "scare" you into getting an epidural.  I had that happen with my first and since I was a young and inexperienced mom (19 with my first), I let it happen.  Then I just accepted it with my next 2 deliveries.  My youngest I delivered naturally and if I were to ever have another baby it would be done without the epidural again.

My advice.  Take it one contraction at a time.  If you distract yourself, you won't focus so much on the whole process and time.  I take books and puzzles with me.  I'm playing games or reading until I'm ready to push.  Honestly transition is the worst and for some it's a fairly short amount of time.  My husband knows that when I start saying I can't take it anymore, we'll have a baby within 10 minutes.  Just know, the pain won't kill you.  It will pass and you will have the best reward in the end.

• MrsJoe125
    February 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Positions help INCREDIBLY in relieving some of the discomfort.  The pain cannot be eliminated completely because it is from your uterus contracting.  Don't do what I did the fourth time around:

LISTEN TO YOUR MIDWIFE!!!

I had to be induced after WEEKS of pre-labor and she kept telling me this one position might help.  I didn't listen, not before or after she broke my water, not before or after they started the pitocine drip, not until I was exhausted from contracting all day (7am-6pm).  My LO was born three hours after I got into the position she had been recommending all day; I would have delivered before lunch (like I had hoped) if I had listened to her in the morning.

• CrazyLife1996
    February 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    I definitely understand that. My EX-SIL started contractions with my niece and delivered 45 minutes later and my nephew came 15 minutes faster. The hospital is 30 mins away barely made it both times.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting CrazyLife1996:

You will know when it is time to go to the hospital after labor begins.

Many of us skip right on past that one- we don't always know, LOL!

• sreichelt26
    February 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Stay home as long as possible - when you get to the point that you can't talk or laugh about stuff in between contractions, it's time to go to the hospital. Move around and find positions that work for you. Some people like to walk, kneel, bounce on an exercise ball, sit in the shower or tub. Deep breathing helps a lot too.

Join the Natural Birth and Parenting group too and you'll find some more tips

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts