Advice for Moms

LifesARiddle
Need a Little Advice, Plz
January 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM

A few hours ago my 7 year old son and fiance were playing (rough housing a bit) and my sons shoulder got hurt a little. Within just a few minutes my sons shoulder was done hurting but he is now avoiding my DF, and my DF feels absolutly horrible about it (even though he did nothing wrong). I feel like I am in the middle (which I know I am), and am trying to make both of them feel better, but I don't know what to do. I've already talked to both and they both know that it was an accident and how each other feels, but my son is still avoiding my DF, and my DF is still feeling beyong horrible about it.

And no, there is absolutly no abuse in our house and I saw when this happened earlier.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• snowiscold
    January 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Perhaps your son is embarrased that he got hurt?  Maybe your DF can go talk to your son and tell him he was a bit rough in playing and that he's sorry.  It sounds like it's something minor, but communication is key to keeping a positive relationship!

• anotherandree
    January 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I agree that you need to step out and let "the men" talk it out.  I know that when my husband accidently hurts one of our kids, MY first instinct is to coddle him, but my husband usually says, "Are you okay?"  Then he proceeds to try and make him laugh or some other guy way of communicating that, to be honest, I just don't get.  My advice is to let the males grunt and bond together to get through this.

• NearSeattleMom
    January 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Just let your son have some space.  You can talk to him about it again tomorrow.

Maybe he's feeling embarrassed . . . or confused.

Good luck!

• wissotamum
    January 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM
    I wouldn't do anything. It happens. Talking about it too much just prolongs it.
  • funhappymom
    January 31, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I bet your son will soon forget about what happened and they'll be best friends again.

• breebree04
    January 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I think your son will be fine, he probably is embarrassed or maybe he is worried he will get hurt again if they rough house and thats why hes avoiding him. Maybe your df can just check on him again and after asking if hes ok, tell him to suggest to your ds that they not rough house for awhile. Maybe if your ds knows there wont be any wrestling around he will feel better about being around df

• LifesARiddle
    January 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I just want to say thanks to those who helped. Pretty much, you were all right. By this morning he was a bit better, and by this afternoon it was like it never happened and they are closer than they were. Thank you all!

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts